Medical Collection, New to me, Old to them

hopen4800

I recently got a small batch of mail forwarded from my old address(been at this address 2 years). One of the letters was a one-time offer to settle a hospital bill for one of my kids. Letter was dated 07/06. I apparently am not being sued at this point and it isn't on my CR's.

1) Can I check with the courthouse(1200 miles away)to see if any action has been taken? Should I? I don't want to miss the chance to DV.

2) Should I blast off a DV right now?

3) Dollar amount for one time offer is, pay about 5k for a supposed 6k bal. I'm sure CA would love a default judgment.

4) Since CA hasn't heard from me and apparently hasn't made any efforts to collect should I let them know my current address and see if I get a new clock on the DV?

Thanks for all the help so far.

I'm pretty new myself also, but i have multiple medical bills and I have just called the clinic to see if they can recall them from collections due to address change or any other reason you can think of. I've had good luck with 4 but others said I should have read my EOB. Never hurts to try tell them you'll pay them right away (if you have the money that is).