Jump to content

disputed but creditor has listed as charge off/collection what now ?

Recommended Posts

I am lost, feel in over my head, and have no idea on what to do next. I received a call in Feb. at work marked private. When I answered, I was asked for my attorneys contact information. I was refused the companies contact information and the employees name. I informed her she was calling me at work and that a letter of dispute and cease all communication was received by IC Systems in January, and the are in violation of the law. She stated the CASE was just sent to them today 2-14-07 and she had no documentation other than I refuse to pay the debt. I suggested she contact Dell for more information and she should not call me again and that I had nothing further to say. I was then told she would be dispatching the sheriff’s dept to my home to retrieve the items and hung up on me.

I never stated or implied I had an attorney verbally or in writing. Weeks later, I got a letter in the mail and could derive a conclusion on who they were. (A 2nd CA); I promptly mailed another dispute letter. No word back yet….but is reported to CB as Collection when it should be disputed.

Chase sent a letter Feb 1st stating they were not going to comply with my request and were no longer going to communicate with me. It is reported to the CB as Disputed. What should I do now?

My other OC's have not responded to my dispute letters from late Jan 2007. My credit report still reflects late/charges off.

Should I send a letter to my OC requesting the debt be dismissed because of the violation or dispute with the CB?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First things first. Breath. Relax. Remember this is a marathon and not a 100 meter dash, and you like me don't sound like you're anywhere near Athens, Pheidippides.

If you have not already, get a copy of your CRs from all three CRAs. It's free every 12 months at:


Request EX and TU online. Call and get a paper copy of EQ. They are lousy at online requests. You can dispute with EX and TU online. Once you get your paper copy of EQ, you can also dispute with them online.

When you say you mailed a dispute letter was it a DV letter? If not, then DV the CA. If there are multiple CAs, either from letters you've received, phone calls you've received, or on your CR, DV them all.

Use the 1-2 punch method described here on this forum. Methuss has a great concise explanation of it here.


Send your DV letters CMRRR.

Here are some common abbreviations used in this forum.


Threatened with the Sheriff's Office? Wow! Too bad you could not get that one on tape. Sounds like a clear violation to me. Since it's fairly recent, type up some notes to yourself detailing the time, date, duration of the call if you remember, name of the person with whom you spoke, gist of the conversation, any specific threats or phrases you can recall. Start a phone log and record the date, time, caller, and the conversation. Helps to build a case against the CA.

If you're regularly getting those kinds of calls, you might think about getting an inexpensive $60 tape recorder from Radio Shack for recording your phone conversations. Find out whether Texas is a one or two party state for recording phone conversations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes i sent a DV letter CMRRRs to the OC.

They have not responded or reported i have disputed the bill.

Here is what i sent.

(Sent via CERTIFIED RETURN MAIL #xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with RETURN RECEIPT)

January 18, 2007

Dell Financial Services

c/o Customer Service correspondence Dept.

PO Box 81577

Austin, TX 78708-1577


Dear Dell Financial Services,

This will serve as your legal notice under provisions of federal law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) 15 USC §1692c, to cease all communication with me in regard to the debt referenced above.

This will also serve as your notice to verify the debt as required by FDCPA pursuant to 15 USC 1692g. Please provide the information provided by that law.

The debt is also disputed .You should cease collection of the debt until you verify the debt by obtaining a copy of the debt and/or judgment. Sufficient verification of the debt should include a copy of any agreement which bears my signature, the most recent statement before you claim that the account became delinquent, and, if the account is no longer owned by the original creditor, a copy of any document which evidences the transfer of the account from the original creditor to your or your principal and any party in between.

You are also notified that you shall cease collection efforts pending this verification. Please note that reporting the debt to a Credit Reporting Agency (as that phrase is defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act) is considered a debt collection activity.



NOTE: This is an attempt to make a debt collector obey the law. Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually, with OCs you can't DV. I mean you can, but they aren't obliged to do anything.

That said, before I knew it, I DVed a TL with an OC. They deleted and sent me a letter stating they were deleting.

I guess us deadbeats aren't the only ones who don't fully understand Da Rulez. The Man don't either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This will serve as your legal notice under provisions of federal law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) 15 USC §1692c, to cease all communication with me in regard to the debt referenced above.

This sentence will force them to sue you. You are telling them to cease all communication with you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.