"Borrowed" Credit

itrev82

As a boost to my credit score, I read that getting listed as an authorized user on someone with good credit could help my score. I ran the situation by my parents, and they were ok with it. My mom called and added me to her credit card (it's been open for many many years and has a very high limit) and they are sending a new card with my name on it. I asked if they asked for my SSN, but she said they didn't.

So this raises the question, how is this going to benefit my credit without my SSN? Should my mom call back and have them add me with my SSN? Or is there a different term she should be asking for instead of "authorized" user?

:mrgreen: I just posted a thread on this. Sorry I didn't read yours first!

My mom put me as AU on her Home Depot acct (I don't live with her) and it never reported. I called HD to give them my social and they wouldn't take it. They claimed that they did not report AU's - yet, others on credit boards said they did. I gave up.

Found out that they send the information to the bureaus with Your Name (AU) the account holder's address and no other "identifying information". The CRAs need to see 2 of 3 ID'fiers. Name, Addy and/or SSN.

If you go to TC, enter your parents addy in the "Previous addy" section on the my account page, and submit, by tomorrow, they will pick it up! (If you are already an AU.....)

I also have heard that some CCs are easier about AU reporting, but many have this "glitch". This is the potential "solution"

Be careful though....Some account will only report if your added as "joint account" AU and JA ARE NOT THE SAME. An AU is an authorized user of the card and IS NOT reposible for the debt. In a joint account situation, ALL parties listed on the account are responsible for the debt.

Just make sure you are added as an AU... :D

Thanks for the replies. My mom added me as an authorized user on her AT&T Universal MasterCard (I think its MC or Visa). They issued a card under my name. I am trying to get her to call back and ask if it will report to my credit, but she said she doesnt have time until Monday.

I assume TC means TrueCredit correct? I have my parents address listed in my credit history on my credit reports, but putting it on the True Credit site will allow it to register for me?

Or is TC something else?? (I checked the abbreviation listing and didn't see TC...)

Thank you!!

OK.. I added my parents address as my True Credit previous address... I will give it a week or so and then update.

I added my parents address and the card was posted the next day on 2 of 3 CRA's

Only problem i noticed is that trans union changed my current address to my parents.Not a big deal as i was moving in a few weeks anyway and would have to them to change the addy.

Other thing i noticed is 0 score rise on TU and only 11 points on EX unless the scores need time to update, it was kind of a bummer.