from the OC to the CA

limeverbena

hello just signed into the community.:)

does anyone know about old collection debts? in a nutshell, my credit is SHOT and has been that way for a few years. the CA's purchased debt from OC's. OC's negative listings have already been removed from my credit report. i started timelines as well, opting to use debt validation methods first since these are all collection accounts(up to my eyeballs in questions and paperwork) Happy to report ( mildly ashamed) that i have succesfully removed five negative listings completely deleted from CB's.

I have been told by one agency ( i know why did i call?, i called because curiousity killed the cat and the investigation results with experian came back as validated..granted they still have time to provide me with proof but shouldn't they already have it and am i wrong in thinking that by updating the status of the account as verified without sending me such proof? doesnt that show an attempt to still collect on a debt during the investigation period starting the day ( regardless of how long item has been on my CR) when i requested validation?are they not supposed to ?)

be that as it may they still have time to "legally" validate, i know that much is true and i goot tell ya the suspense on the outcome of these is CRAZY. however, if they are unable to verify the debt then they broke the law right and there are penalties to pay for having it on my report in the first place.

idk people i need a meeting of the minds so any comments would be graciously recieved

Welcome...we'll all help if we can. (Just a comment, not a critisim...Capital Letters here and there, and an occasional paragraph will make your posts easier to read).

Anyway, you're on the right track. And, yes, it probably is a violation for them to report anything other than "in dispute" to a CRA before they have sent you the documentation you asked for. Is that enough to sue over? Probably not, by itself. However, keep good records. You might need them later.

If the underlying debts have fallen off your credit reports...then any associated CA entries should also. Its the "date of first delinquency" (DOFD) from the OC that determines how long the stuff stays on your reports. The CA can't legally change that...if they do, then that's another violation.

And, if the debts are that old, maybe the Statue of Limitations (SOL) is up...which means they might sue, but shouldn't win.