Paid CA's that aren't on my report, OC's still showing debt, HELP!

heidismamma

My husband and I have a very messy credit history with multiple charge-offs, settlements, etc. No BK or judgments. I thought I was doing the right thing by trying to work with CA's now and clear up old debt. I have paid money for old accounts over the last couple of years and surprise, surprise our credit scores got no better. I am confused about how CA's actually work, the OC info. on my CR do not show pmts I made to CA's, once a debt is bought by a collection agency does the OC still keep track of pmts or is the debt just gone for them? And if I paid CA's that aren't on my CR can I still negotiate with the OC's to have the bad reports changed?

Many of these accts are close to the 7 yr cut-off from when they first came delinquent (tho we do have a block of bad stuff from just 2 yrs ago) and we stopped paying the OC, did my pmts to the CA's restart the clock? We are still getting notices from CA's for debts past the SOL and some that I already settled on with other companies, can I ignore them if they are not on my CR or do I have to go thru the DV process to protect my credit?

Should my first step be to just dispute my CR and see what falls off then deal with the rest, or should I try to contact each OC individually?

I know I asked a lot, I'm new to this so please forgive me! Any help would be great, I am super excited to think we might finally be able to get out from under this mess but I don't know where to start. Any advice would be great!:)++

Yes you are asking a lot but they are the right questions!!!

First of all you never pay ca/junk debt buyers without getting everything in writing first!! That was you your first mistake you will never make again! Whenever you try to negotiate a payoff always get everything in writing always because you will have the letter to send to the credit bureaus if the creditor doesnt keep his end of the bargain. Now rule of thumb never worry about debt is close to sol expiration date because they are going to fall of soon, so it makes no sense to pay and paying them will have no effect on your fico score as you have discovered! CA deliberately wait until sol exoiration is nearing and they send you bills just ignore them but do send an dv that should stop them cold.Sense you already foolishly paid old ca debt without a written deal you are out of luck most likely. But yes call the oc and find out the true status of all the charge offs i.e do they still have them in their possession or did they sell and if they did sell ask to update your reports to reflect that. Now if you have debts that nearing the sol date dont bother paying makes no sense damage has long been done, just wait till they fall off. No! paying does not change the last activity date no matter what anyone tells you the first time you were 30 days late always stands period and 7 years from that date the item will fall off. Now if you have negatives that are very recent negotiate only those and this time make sure you get everything in writing first you will need that letter later as evidence for the credit bureaus!! good luck!! Remember to negotiate for 75% of the balance then work from there!!