have a inquiry from a never head of collection agency???

Look, I had discovered this yesterday.

Read this Letter by Dianne L. Wilkman, President, Springboard Nonprofit Consumer Credit Management:

Ms. Wilkman "urges regulators to formulate and enforce rules that strictly govern the practices of all data furnishers, and would encourage a special focus on junk debt buyers and any sellers of bad debts."

"Junk debt collecting is a settlement driven business model and the consumer is brought to the table by aggressive and often illegal credit reporting tactics. These tactics include failure to report the original creditor, the original open date and the date of last activity. These tactics can extend the reporting of the collection. Also, duplicative reporting of the same collection account after it has been sold to a 2nd or 3rd debt buyer is an issue.

Recent years have seen the proliferation of junk debt buyers who prey upon consumers to collect expired debts or even debts that don’t belong to a consumer. Their method of collecting has as its primary strategy the tactic of immediately stinging the credit report in order to force a settlement, often mis-representing the debt as more recent than it really is and/or reporting the debt as revolving, which is inaccurate and which causes the score to further decrease since the “utilization factor” calculates higher than it should.

If the consumer goes along and settles the debt this has the perverse impact of causing the credit score to plummet further (since activity has been updated to the current time period). Medical service providers, health clubs and other future service providers are also selling their charged-off accounts to junk debt buyers."

For the complete letter, you may visit: FDIC: FDIC Federal Register Citations

You all may find it very interesting !

and that has what to do with your statements? This is a letter asking the FTC for changes in the law. I agree with that, the law needs to be changed to reign in these collectors and JDB's. Until it is, a lot of the things they do will remain legal.

Illegal means PROHIBITED by the law, not your opinion.

Well... I could say and will say, the entire time I have been visiting this site, I find that you have been entirely dishonest at times, arrogant, opinionated and must control each and every Thread on this site. My every opinion is always challenged by you (even where it concerns my own CRs). If I have an OPINION (or success) that differs from your legal advice, or fail to quote case law, statute or court decision, I am suddenly declared as being erroneous. You shall not control my actions, thoughts or opinions. Thank you.

June, it's not possible that the "entire" time you've been here, Dive has been "entirely" dishonest, has attempted to control "each and every" thread, and that your "every" opinion has "always" been challenged by him.

Please, tone down the rhetoric a bit. I think it's because you're so extreme that sometimes people feel the need to ask you to clarify what you've said.

June, it's not possible that the "entire" time you've been here, Dive has been "entirely" dishonest, has attempted to control "each and every" thread, and that your "every" opinion has "always" been challenged by him.

Please, tone down the rhetoric a bit. I think it's because you're so extreme that sometimes people feel the need to ask you to clarify what you've said.

ok.

and that has what to do with your statements? This is a letter asking the FTC for changes in the law. I agree with that, the law needs to be changed to reign in these collectors and JDB's. Until it is, a lot of the things they do will remain legal. Illegal means PROHIBITED by the law, not your opinion.
ok.

Remember that even if reporting is considered communication, the courts have repeatedly held that a CA does not have to prove you got a letter, nor do they even have to prove they mailed it. All they have to show is that they had a system in place that should have ensured it was mailed.

So a CA doesn't have to send something in writing five days after just an inquiry?

Hello,

For the record, some of us use the term "Inquiry," as if they are just obtaining our names and addresses only. But an "Inquiry" IS a "Hard" or "Soft" pull of our full Credit Reports by the Furnishers of Information. "Hard" Inquiries may legally remain on our CRs for 2 full years, and "Soft" Inquiries remain for 12 full months.

By "SoExtremeJune"