Chronicle of an Eviction.

1 - Judges HATE math. My breakdown of the tenant's payment history showed the amount due each month but I didn't break that down further to show past due + current charges. Judge got a bit frustrated and told me he couldn't follow what I had done. I thought it was pretty simple...I guess just not simple enough.

Dude, you're in finance. Of course you'd think it was simple, it didn't involve calculus. xdancex

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it looks like it's not quite over yet. I drove past the rental property this evening and it appeared at first that they had left on their own.

No such luck.

I parked the car and went over to the neighbor's house hoping to get hold of them at least to apologize for what happened in my rental. From that angle I saw lights on from the back window and heard a drop down bang up shouting match going on inside my rental. Nice.

Well they have until Wednesday next week to leave. Given what I found out on Friday, they would be incredibly stupid to overstay the judge's order.

Friday my wife got sideswiped in her new Outlander (another disaster) while coming to pick me up at the train station. An officer came to the station to pick me up and take me to the accident site. On the way the subject of the tenants came up. He pulled up the police report on his computer from their decent on the house back in February and read it to me verbatim. Apparently, I only got part of the truth before. The real truth is that there was an armed robbery of the gas/ convenience store down the road and the perp didn't just run through the back yard. The police had followed the footprints in the snow right to the rental front door! The tenants would not let them enter without a warrant and without an ID on the perp, they didn't have enough to enter on probable cause.

So if they are foolish enough to overstay the order, then the sheriff will be with me on the 19th on the forcible entry and detainer. Anything inside will be open to law enforcement to view.

Please keep updating this thread! It's the first thing I read when on come to this board. No lack of excitement here.

Again, sorry you have to go through all of this, but thanks for sharing!

LOL! Me too Steve. I'm sorry it's happening (especially since it's one of our own) but, I head to this thread first.

Holy crap! Over the years we've had some real winners as tenants but you officially beat me.

A couple of things.....landlord insurance and a drug and criminal clause in the lease? Those are things I never heard of and I thought I had every type of insurance product available!

Please keep us informed and keep your family safe.

A couple of things.....landlord insurance and a drug and criminal clause in the lease? Those are things I never heard of and I thought I had every type of insurance product available!

I have my landlord policy through Allstate. Basically it covers any damage the tenant does to the property (minus a deductable), damage caused by nature, general liability if someone is injured in an accident on the property, and with an extra rider even pays lost rent proceeds if the property is damaged and not habitable.

In other news...

Got a call from the neighbor next door to the rental called me today to say there was some activity today. She said she saw the garage full of boxes and the tenants loading some of those boxes inot cars and taking them away. Hopefully this is a sign that they will be vacating this weekend. Seems like they are moving out the little stuff now.

Well this may be coming to an anti-climatic close. I got another call from the neighbor saying the tenants had a moving truck there this past Sunday to move out the heavier stuff. That's fine with me. A forcible removal would have cost me a few thousand bucks that I would have little hope of recovering.

Once I confirm they are cleared out I can go over and assess damages.

As for the nearly $2000 they owe under the judgment for rent, I'm not sure if I should bother going after it. It may cost me more than it is worth. Maybe I should sell it to a JDB... :ROFLMAO2:

At 80 cents to the dollar -- you might make a lil selling it to a JDB ;-)

As much as I hate to admit it, you're right. It's good "paper" in that I have all the contracts, the judgment, even relative's names and numbers. Eh. Not sure if I want to "deal with the devil" quite yet.

Well it looks like the deadbeat tenants have left the property. I go in tomorrow with an Aurora Police officer with me --just to be safe-- and evaluate everything. They appear to have taken down the window coverings (mini blinds) they had installed without asking so maybe I can get an idea by looking int he window tonight. I'm concerned, based on what I've learned of their past behavior, that they may have taken off with the appliances. I hope not because I *will* file criminal theft charges if they were that stupid.

I've also contacted a debt collection lawyer to pursue the nearly $2000 they owe me in unpaid rent. I just can't bend low enough to sell the judgment to a JDB...but if the appliances are gone, I may find myself able to flex.

Took possession of the house today. Had a police officer with me when I opened the door. They destroyed the place.

All the new carpets are destroyed in every room. All the vynil tiles are gouged. The kitchen cabinets are water damaged. The stove is so wrecked it will cost more to clean up than to replace. All but one door has been kicked off it's hinges. All the closet shelves have been ripped off the walls. There's even a burn mark on one of the closet doors in the shape of a clothes iron. Outlets on the walls have been torn out, and every wall has either minor or major damage. They dumped sediment from a fish tank down the kitchen sink and left piles of garbage in every room.

I've never seen anything like it, not even on a Cops episode. There is at least $20k worth of damage. The carpets alone will cost over $5000 to replace.

I'm going to go drink myself into a stupor now....

xjawdropx I am soooo sorry to hear that. You deserve much better imho

My mom planted one of those saint statutes in the back yard when we were trying to sell or rent the place out. I had to make a joke of it to keep my sanity. Told her she needs to come over and take it back because it's defective.

Oh, man. Here's a bottle of some good Irish whiskey for you.

I'm terribly sad about that. :(

Half a bottle of Maker's Mark. I have quite the headache this morning.

Totally sucks dude.

And about putting the St. Joseph (or St. Anthony) statue-There is a prayer that you have to recite daily too!

We had our house in Colorado on the market for 3 months and after burying the statue we had a buyer in less than a week.

Probably coincidence-but we have that statue on display in our new house and it will be going in the ground when we sell this one!

:)

I didn't think it was possible things could get any worse....

My insurance agent has told me at least 3 times that damage done by the tenants will be covered under my policy.

The adjuster for Allstate says vandalism is not covered without an additional endorsement.

I think I'm gonna be sick. I don't have $15k to $20k to deal with this if it's not covered on my landlord policy. I'd say my agent better have his checkbook ready if he messed up and put my policy in the system wrong.

The adjuster for Allstate says vandalism is not covered without an additional endorsement.

Just like a slimeball insurance company.

Claim that the supposedly covered tenant damage is "vandalism" to escape liability.

Well I read the policy and they are right. The policy papers say vandalism and damage by tenants are not covered. The problem is the agent told me no less than 4 times when I discussed the eviction with him that it would be covered. The term I learned that goes with this problem is "Professional Error or Omission." The agent sold me the wrong policy by mistake thinking it covered what I asked for. So the agent is responsible to cover it. If he's smart he has his own E&O liability policy to cover it, otherwise he best get his checkbook out.

I spent today breaking down the house. All the damaged carpet, broken doors, broken shelves, etc are out. It looks a lot better just with the bare wood. Tomorrow I go over with a few people to work on tearing out the vinyl tiles and tearing down the kitchen.

So this is the fix list (in order):

Replace one kitchen floor cabinet damaged by water.

Replace kitchen counters.

Patch holes in the walls.

Paint all walls.

Replace all vinyl tiles.

Replace all carpets.

Replace broken doors and door frames.

Remount closet shelves.