Ch. 7 - Broken Apartment Lease Question?

IslandGirl

Am looking for opinions/insight -

My rent at my apartment was paid late Feb. I met with the attorney who filed my petition for chp 7 on 3/21/07. I told him that I needed to move out of my apartment due to rent increase and a drop in salary on my end - I could no longer afford it. He rejected the lease as part of the petition and suggested that I move out this week and NOT pay rent for March. He called the complex on my behalf, explained that I would be moving out and had filed Chp 7 and he would be forwarding my file #, etc. to them.

My question is this - would it be better to apply for another apartment this week while my bankruptcy is so new and I technically have NOT been evicted yet? (i think it takes them a few days to get the paperwork together).

OR, would it be better to move in with my Mom for a few months, save money and not apply for any apartment just yet? Wasn't sure if time was of the essance or not..

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Even with the bankruptcy JUST being filed, it won't take long for it to show up on your credit reports, and any apt complex or commercially run rental company will pull your credit and see the bankruptcy. Mine showed up on my reports in less than a week !

Getting any apt may be difficult with the bk. Many places won't rent to someone with bad credit or a bk less than 2 years old - or they'll ask for a whopping deposit. Your best bet is to look for a PRIVATE rental. Private parties are often more concerned with your character, so get references, and individuals rarely have the ability to pull your credit. It's also possible you'll get a bigger place for less money.