Advice please!

Rskillz

Hello, I'm 26 and in my early 20's I made some bad mistakes with my credit. I had a car repo'd and had a few delinquent accounts (Circuit city, comcast,). I haven't had any delinquent accounts since and I now have a pretty good job and my head on straight. But now my credit score is atrocious.

I heard from a family member about a guy who can get almost everything removed off my reports legally. He used to work for the credit bureau so he knows all the loopholes.

I just called him and he told me to send him a few items, a fee and he will send all the credit reports to my house. Which I will send directly to him. He will continue to have them sent each time they are updated and items are removed. He also said never to respond to credit bureau letters, only send them straight to him. Over 3-9 months it will be pretty much cleaned up. And I can begin to build my credit again.

It sounds too good to be true. However, he has done work for friends of mine and they recommend him.

Any ideas/feedback on this? I'm a credit nooby.

First Welcome aboard. There is nothing he can do that you can't do for yourself. Save yourself the money and hassle and read, read, read and begin to repair your credit yourself, not only are you repairing your credit but u are also gaining valuable information to keep you out of trouble.

I have read most of the books on this subject

and the ONLY ONE I recommend

is “GOOD CREDIT IS SEXY” (they sponsors this thread).

Look for the orange link at the top of this page.

It has all the information you need.

Just spend the little bit money and get it………… Today. ….. ☺

while you are waiting for the book...... go to

www.creditinfocenter.com and read every single link, that's a good start.

I have read most of the books on this subject

and the ONLY ONE I recommend

is “GOOD CREDIT IS SEXY” (they sponsors this thread).

Look for the orange link at the top of this page.

It has all the information you need.

Just spend the little bit money and get it………… Today. ….. ☺

while you are waiting for the book...... go to

www.creditinfocenter.com and read every single link, that's a good start.

Uhhh what? I don't see any orange link?

Also, where is the best place to get my three credit reports? I see a ton of sites saying they will do it for free, etc.

Should i have it mailed or just get it online and print it?

I tried the gov. one but it says my info doesnt match or it can't be done online?

that's easy,

send a letter to all 3 CRAs requesting

your free annual credit report.

they will get back to you as to what extra info they need.

do a search for the addresses, here or google.

look here first.

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/creditreports/credtrpt.shtml

:-) had you read the link I provided in my early post, you would already know this. :-)

that's easy,

send a letter to all 3 CRAs requesting

your free annual credit report.

they will get back to you as to what extra info they need.

do a search for the addresses, here or google.

So online is a bad idea? And also, what do they need up front? Or is that different in each case? Just want to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later.

I'm going to buy the book and educate myself, but at this point I'm not sure I have the time to do it all myself.

So for 250$ is it worth it to get someone else to do it at this point? For a novice I feel like I would be drowned in legal jargon and paperwork. I've also heard the bureau is much harder to work with from a individual's standpoint.

Well...here's the thing. You can give money to your families friend there, and, because he's breaking the law, you'll have no recourse if he should screw up or futher damage your credit. You will also have no recourse if some of the things on your credit reports happen to be flat out wrong, because, with a debt cleaner involved, you've given up your right to dispute it under the FCRA.

Or...you can go online at www.annualcreditreport.com and get your 3 reports. Look them over, dispute the stuff that's wrong, and do the DV process with the CA's, and probably blow away at least as much as the debt cleaner would have...and, you'll have saved your $250 and learned enough to make sure that some bottom feeding CA doesn't take advantage of you, and you'll have preserved your rights.

Since the public part of the forum here explicitly does not recommend debt cleaners, you won't find any listed. On the other hand, if you haven't already, you'll probably be getting PM's from some of the debt cleaners and debt fixers that troll the forum.

Well...here's the thing. You can give money to your families friend there, and, because he's breaking the law, you'll have no recourse if he should screw up or futher damage your credit. You will also have no recourse if some of the things on your credit reports happen to be flat out wrong, because, with a debt cleaner involved, you've given up your right to dispute it under the FCRA.

Or...you can go online at www.annualcreditreport.com and get your 3 reports. Look them over, dispute the stuff that's wrong, and do the DV process with the CA's, and probably blow away at least as much as the debt cleaner would have...and, you'll have saved your $250 and learned enough to make sure that some bottom feeding CA doesn't take advantage of you, and you'll have preserved your rights.

Since the public part of the forum here explicitly does not recommend debt cleaners, you won't find any listed. On the other hand, if you haven't already, you'll probably be getting PM's from some of the debt cleaners and debt fixers that troll the forum.

Wow great post. I'm going to take your advice.

One question, why is the book so old and hard to find? Is it like the bible of credit? I'm talking about the "Good credit is sexy" book from 2001. I can't find it locally at all.

Is this THE book to get? Or are there others?

Wow great post. I'm going to take your advice.

One question, why is the book so old and hard to find? Is it like the bible of credit? I'm talking about the "Good credit is sexy" book from 2001. I can't find it locally at all.

Is this THE book to get? Or are there others?

You can order the book through this site..... look up... it is a read flashing item 3rd from the right

Experian and Equifax won't give me my reports online, but transunion did.

I have five very old past-due accounts.

Funny part is they don't even have my last name spelled properly for any of it.

Could that be a angle to take ? >_>

We live to help people like you. :)

You may have to call the other two CRA's if they have your name all screwy.

I'd be curious as to what "loopholes" your friend knows about.

He's not my friend, he runs a business in Savannah that does this stuff. He's been recommended by a few of my family.

He charges 250$ to do it all, and keep on it for however long it takes.

BUT.

I only have like 5 delinquent accounts.

Car repo - 5,000ish - 4 years old

Cell phone - 145$ - 3 years old

Circuit city card - 500$ - 4 years old

Gas bill - 400$ - 4 years old

Some department store CC - 200$ - 4 years old

I figure I should be able to manage this stuff. Thoughts?

Bah. Most of that you can do yourself. After you get hard copies from all three CRA's, I think the first step on the 4 year old accounts would be to dipute directly with the CRA's to see what falls off, then go from there.

You may also decide to take them head on adn DV at the same time.

The car repo will be the hardest.

Read all the sticky's first, though.

You guys rock, you're really giving me the confidence to face this stuff head on. Up until now it's been something I just wanted to hide from, and be ashamed of--almost like I commited a crime back then. But I was young and naive, and stupid.

Anyhow, thanks for the help and please bare with my stupid questions; I did order the book and I am reading all the stickies, so it's not like I'm not trying on my own.

stupid questions.

No such thing here. It's so confusing at first. It's not like a linear learning process. The more you read the stickys and articles on the homepage, they will cause you more questions than answers at first, bur then it will all become clear.

It took about six weeks of solid reading in my spare time for me to finally grasp all the workings of credit, collectors, CRA's, etc.