Cell Phone Companies

jemhazel

Does anyone know what the cell phone companies base their decisions (credit scores) on when granting cell phone service (2 year contracts)?

I'm in the process of repairing my damaged credit and want to get a cell phone service but don't want to go through the process only to get denied and add another inquiry on my report(s).

Thanks for your input!!

I have had just about every cell phone company known to man....and I have gotten a phone through all of them. The only one that asked for a deposit was Cingular. I have had Nextel, Alltel, and verizon....they seem pretty flexible. The worst that could happen is that they ask for a deposit.

I'll say that if you are worried about it....I got the Cingulair GoPhone. I've been very pleased with it. The discounted purchase of the phone plus putting an intital $100 (that was my choice) on the account cost me less than a deposit would have. I have found that for the way I use a cell phone, I am now actually paying less than when I had a service. I know I pay a lot less just on the taxes/surcharges. If I decide to put $50 on the account I get charged $53 and get the whole $50 added to my account. Plus there was no credit inquiry at all for this plan.

Just my $.02 ;)

The cell phone companies are notorious for billing past the contract, too. I'm dealing with one of those right now that is with a CA.

My current cell service is through Cingular and I've had no problems. Now will that change if I decide to cancel?