Summons served

My husband has a debt from a repo that is still within SOL. We had received a couple of letters from Cavalry and unfortunately, ignored them. Early in March, he was served a summons for the debt. He called the lawyer listed on the summons to start a negotiation process. I know, not at all how we should have handled this. Anyway, the lawyer said he'd talk to his client, Cavalry, and get back to my husband. He never did get back to us. In the meantime, we've received two more letters from the lawyer threatening a judgement. My husband looked at his credit report yesterday and there isn't a judgement on it, yet.

My question is where do we possibly start with this one? This is a valid debt and we are wanting to build a house so need to start settling it and clearing up his credit. But we never did DV Cavalry or the lawyer.

Also, the original balance was around $5000 and the letters from the lawyer have the debt around $12,000 with fees and interest. Can they inflate the balance that much?

What is the first thing we need to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.