Judgment

Hi, I had a judgement filed against me in June 2006 by a chiropracter and I have yet to answer to the it. The dr. thought that I was going to receive a large settlement, which I did not and he purposely overtreated me to increase my bill. I was unable to get a lawyer and therefore was left with a $4000 bill. I was laid off from my job at the time and just recently started working and also I have moved out of state? What should I do??

Hi, I had a judgement filed against me in June 2006 by a chiropracter and I have yet to answer to the it. The dr. thought that I was going to receive a large settlement, which I did not and he purposely overtreated me to increase my bill. I was unable to get a lawyer and therefore was left with a $4000 bill. I was laid off from my job at the time and just recently started working and also I have moved out of state? What should I do??

Were you properly served by the chiropractor? If not, then service is invalid and you can file a motion to have the judgment vacated. This then opens you up to having it served correctly.

I was served properly. My initial visits to the chirocpracter were valid but I went in letting him know that my insurance would not cover any of the costs and that I did not want to create a high bill. When I tried to stop going, he advised me not to on several occasions and once he had gotten confirmation that I was not going to be able to file a lawsuit, he quickly dismissed me and sent me a $4,000 bill. So, basically, I was overtreated to create a large bill in hopes that I would be get a large settlement, which would have been more money for him. I just hope that my wages will not be garnished. I even tried to make payment arragements with the collection agency, but the collector was very nasty and told me that if I could not send in a large sum, then not to waste my time, but I have sent in 2 small pyts to the attorney's office in the form of money orders,so I wonder if I could keep doing this. I really feel that I was taken advantage of by the chiropracter. Any advice in this matter will be greatly appreciated.