SOL questions

chelseagirl

Hello.... Does anyone know the SOL in Pennsylvania for credit card debt??? I have been searching and even googled. Some sites say 4 yrs. and some say 6 yrs. I just received a phone call from a CA trying to collect a debt from 2001 and when I stated SOL, the CA told me Pennsylvania is 7 yrs. Now I'm really confused. THANKS:?

I don't have time to find you the statute but this is a PA collection agency website that says 4 yrs. open-ended(cc debt). Sorry I couldn't find it for you. If I had more time I would quote it for you but I've gotta run. Maybe a PA pro will step in and give you the exact statute.

the CA told me Pennsylvania is 7 yrs.

Sounds like deceptive collection to me.

http://www.acollectionagency.com/statuteoflimitations/pennsylvania.php

Why does it sound deceptive???? Because the Ca told me SOL in Pa is 7 yrs?????

Most definitely. The CA, of all people, should know the laws of SOL. Unless they are complete idiots, which is also possible, they shouldn't be lying to a debtor. It's against the law to be deceptive while trying to collect a debt and unless the rep truly doesn't know or the PA law on SOL has changed, they were deceptive. The FDCPA says:

ยง 807. False or misleading representations [15 USC 1692e]

A debt collector may not use any false, deceptive, or misleading representation or means in connection with the collection of any debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section:

Most definitely. The CA, of all people, should know the laws of SOL. Unless they are complete idiots, which is also possible, they shouldn't be lying to a debtor. It's against the law to be deceptive while trying to collect a debt and unless the rep truly doesn't know or the PA law on SOL has changed, they were deceptive. The FDCPA says:

The CA gave me her name, number, and fax in case I decided to pay. She told me they sent me a letter in Jan. and told me it was too late for me to have the debt validated. I told her I was NOT paying anything since I didn't even know what the debt was for. She wasn't rude, but was extremely nice thinking I would just send her a check. She told me she was tested for debt collection and that's when she stated that Pennsylvania SOL is 7 yrs. That is why I am confused. I need to find out if Pa. changed the SOL recently. Where do I begin to find out???? All the sites I searched state 4yrs. or 6yrs. HELP??????

I would call the PA Consumer Protection Agency or PA Atty General or someone that could clear that up for you. Start w/the CPA, they should be able to, if not answer your question, direct you to the proper agency to get your question answered. Everything I've seen says 4 yrs. too. That doesn't mean it's right though. Best bet, get on the phone and get the straight answer. If it's 4 yrs. then it sounds like the lady might have failed her test! BTW, CA's are only interested in seperating you from your money so they will say anything in hopes you panic and pay. Get on the phone and good luck. Let us know the real deal.

UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE!!!! I just got off the phone with the Pennsylvania Attorney General and the SOL is 4 yrs. across the board.:wink: Thank -you everybody for your help and leading me in the right direction. This SOL was recently amended and that's why I couldn't get the right answer on-line!!! I hope this helps anyone else with the same question.