How do banks, collection co's and law firms determine if they will sue for debt owed?

Did you get sued, do you know why?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you are late or stop paying your debt and it goes to collection how do the banks, collection companies and law firms determine to pursue the debt through a law suit?

Also if you have disputed a debt, and the dispute is not answered in the amount of time allowed, then they have broken the contract but can still sue. I know that they will do this in hope to win by default or to press for settlement. Knowing that they can not win, but counting on the fact that most consumers would not know how to defend themselves, they still sue.

What makes them decide to sue?:confused:

What is it based on: amount of debt; ability to pay, job or profession, place of or tiime in residence; amount owed to other creditors, assets, statute of limitations, WHAT?

What goes on in their devious little minds that says " Let's sue this person, this person and this person, and let the rest go. ":confused:

CRAs now sell scores specifically geared to telling OCs, CAs, JDBs and attorneys whether they're likely to gain anything by filing a lawsuit. What goes into the scores? Who knows. Homeownership, job stability, occupation, marital status, dependents, ownership of assets that are likely nonexempt, amount of defaulted debt, etc.

Sometimes the scores are denominated as "bankruptcy risk" scores (since debtors with judgments against them are likelier to BK if there's nothing else in their life that BK will screw up [security clearances, bondability, etc.]).

Thanks Flacorps and Bigtime.

What are JDB's by the way? I know most of the lingo on this site but I can't figure this one out.

CIC is great. One thing that blows my mind from the info here, is the rights that consumers have and the very clever ways to go about DV and disputes. It seems very clear that if done properly the results will go in the consumers favor. But yet the creditors still sue even when they do not have a case. Very intimidating on their part. I must look more into how a law suit can be handle after using DV and dispute.