Where do I start

loose tooth

So, here I move up to credit repair. I have been late and settled several cc debts for dh and I. Now I need to work on credit repair.

I am new to this, so thank you for bearing w/ me.

My first question is I know I can dispute the lates. But...the lates are true. How does this work? I dispute by lying because I know I have been late, the CB checks it out w/ the creditor and the creditor responds. Are lates often removed because the creditor doesn't bother to respond to the disputes?

My lates and settlements are very new. How long should I wait before I dispute any lates? Also, I was told to work on the lates first and then work to get the reports to state paid in full instead of settled. Any suggestions?

There are two basic ways to dispute lates...

1. Dispute with the CRAs. You'd be hoping that the OC/CAs wouldn't respond. Seldom happens.

b. Send a goodwill letter to the OC/CA...saying "I really like you guys, golly, gee whiz, can't you help me out and remove the lates?". If you've paid them less than the full amount, not much chance they'll be receptive.

This is a very touchy subject you have brought up. No one is telling you to lie.

If the lates ARE IN FACT true and you want them to remain on your report, by all means leave them. There are ways, however, to try and get them removed. Dispute them, or have the OC remove them. If you dispute and the OC does not verify, you end up witha a delete. If you write a good will letter as mentioned by WIlling to Cope and the OC has a heart, you end up with a delete.

It is the law that an OC or CA must report ACCURATE information. I go through my reports with a fine tooth comb looking for these inaccuracies and believe me there are many. This inaccuracies are to my advantage in that I can easily get them removed, but in all, those same inaccuracies are hurting my overall credit picture. For instance, I have a cable collection account that NEVER should have been inserted on my credit file. THis is cable compainies error and they have told me many times that it will be removed. It has been 40 days since the insertion and it's still there. If you think just because they (THE CRA's) are such a "big" company and they deal with everyones credit files that they "must" be right...read some of these threads and you will be amazed.

My first question is I know I can dispute the lates. But...the lates are true. How does this work? I dispute by lying because I know I have been late, the CB checks it out w/ the creditor and the creditor responds. Are lates often removed because the creditor doesn't bother to respond to the disputes?

How many lates are we talking about? Is the account otherwise positive w/a couple lates? Or is it pretty much littered w/lates and would be of more help to have it completely deleted?

Also, I was told to work on the lates first and then work to get the reports to state paid in full instead of settled.

It's going to be more difficult to get the "paid in full" statement. I would wait awhile and dispute when it's a little older. They tend to purge records once a closed account is settled. Better chance for getting what you want. You should probably come up w/a really nice, mushy letter of GW for the lates. My arms fell of back in '04 and couldn't sign the check and get payment into envelope. It took more than 30 days to get them sewn back on. Sorry. Tell 'em, I don't recall the lates and they are all reported differently on all 3 CRA's. How am I supposed to recall the lates when they are reported differently depending on CRA? Some sob story w/lots of mush. Here is a letter I drafted for a paid car loan w/2 30days. Both of which were due to their computer system. It wouldn't post a payment until after the holiday. So, it screwed me. Anyway. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I recently pulled all three of my credit reports and it appears American Honda Finance may have mistakenly

reported a couple of 30 day lates to the 3 major credit reporting agencies. If you take a look at the rest of the

account history, and the consistency at which the payments were made on time, I’m quite sure you can see why I’m

concerned. Not only do I not recall making any late payments, but the dates on the 3 different reports are not

consistent, making it impossible to recall the lates in question. As I did from the onset of the loan, I used your

website to post payments to my account and always posted them well before the due date. Could it be possible that

this is due to a computer generated problem? In an effort to get this matter resolved I disputed the account with the

credit bureaus and I don’t know why my disputes went unresolved. Maybe they closed the dispute without conducting

a thorough investigation or didn’t even bother to investigate at all. I would hate to think that the reason, but I’m just not

sure. In any event, I am asking you to please correctly report this account to the three major credit reporting agencies

and put this behind us. Believe me, I’m well aware that mistakes are more likely to happen when there are computers

involved so please take the necessary steps to get this matter resolved and my credit reports corrected. Thank you.

On a lighter note, I would like to tell you that my wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed our 2001 Honda Civic and have

been very pleased with your company and top rate automobiles. In the almost 6 years we’ve owned it, we haven’t had

to do any repairs, other than scheduled maintenance. It has over 125k miles and still runs like a champ. So, when

it comes time to look at buying another car, you can bet Honda will be at the top of the list. With products like that, it must

be easy being Honda. Thank you so much for your time and consideration in this matter.

Best Regards,