Another question

tishtash

I have an old Gold's Gym membership on my CR with MAF Collection Service opened in 7/01 and last active 9/01. I had no idea this went to collections, I worked for Gold's and was told by my manager at the time that my membership would be cancelled since as an employee I no longer had to pay for my gym membership. Of course this guy no longer owns the Gold's, it isn't even there anymore it's in a different location, so I have no way of proving this with them.

My question is, wouldn't the SOL be up on this if the last activity was on 9/01? (I'm in FL, isn't it 5 yrs?)

The SOL for collecting is up. That means you have an affirmative defense if for some reason they attempt to sue you.

The reporting period (SO often confused with SOL) is 7-71/2 years. So, it will not fall off of your report until that time is up- which probably will be 9/08

No, I know the SOL for reporting is another year +. I was asking because I am going through and trying to pay and erase as much debt as I can, but am afraid to contact these people if there has been no activity since '01 and the SOL for collecting is up, I might as well just let it sit there until it's up for reporting. ****ty maybe, but this is the highest debt owed, which as I explained I had no idea was on there.

Thanks!

I agree with dpgirl. If the same person is no longer owner, how can debt be proven.

BUT, if new owner absorbed all outstanding debt at purchase, they would now be the owner. This is all you have to watch for.

I would DV this CA and include in your letter as to the original agreement between owner and employees. Do you have anything to support this? Like a handout given by employers at times.

I agree with dpgirl. If the same person is no longer owner, how can debt be proven.

BUT, if new owner absorbed all outstanding debt at purchase, they would now be the owner. This is all you have to watch for.

I would DV this CA and include in your letter as to the original agreement between owner and employees. Do you have anything to support this? Like a handout given by employers at times.

That's the thing, I don't have anything anymore. The old employee handbook that we had states the membership was free, however saying that my current membership would becancelled because I worked there, that was a verbal between the owner and I. I should have really followed up with him on it better instead of trusting that it would just be cancelled. I'm afraid to dispute it without any kind of proof because putting an inquiry on this would show recent activity.

That's the thing, I don't have anything anymore. The old employee handbook that we had states the membership was free, however saying that my current membership would becancelled because I worked there, that was a verbal between the owner and I. I should have really followed up with him on it better instead of trusting that it would just be cancelled. I'm afraid to dispute it without any kind of proof because putting an inquiry on this would show recent activity.

Disputing that TL is NOT going to show any recent activity. IF the account went "delinquent" in 01, then there's nothing that's going to change that- unless you start making payments or paying it.

You have PLENTY of reason to dispute it, and besides- they may not be able to verify.

you have nothing to loose by disputing.

Disputing that TL is NOT going to show any recent activity. IF the account went "delinquent" in 01, then there's nothing that's going to change that- unless you start making payments or paying it.

You have PLENTY of reason to dispute it, and besides- they may not be able to verify.

you have nothing to loose by disputing.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to dispute it then. :)