Incomplete Account Numbers on Credit Report

I have a question. I tried searching within the forum but couldn't find an answer. On my credit report that I purchased from Experian the account numbers are listed as 123456XXXX. How do I challenge an account if I don't have the complete number? Can I challenge it under 123456XXXX without knowing what the x is? Or do I have to call someone and get the xxxx deciphered somehow?

Thanks in advance for input.

I have a question. I tried searching within the forum but couldn't find an answer. On my credit report that I purchased from Experian the account numbers are listed as 123456XXXX. How do I challenge an account if I don't have the complete number? Can I challenge it under 123456XXXX without knowing what the x is? Or do I have to call someone and get the xxxx deciphered somehow?

Thanks in advance for input.

I have always just used the xxxxx as they were... usually when you get a reply it will have the entire number on it

thanks for the feedback. So If I'm understanding you correctly, when I send in my challenges to the CB I can use 123456XXXX and they'll identify the correct account?

that is what I have done in the past... when they send something back to you make sure all the dates and dollar amounts match also!!!!