Outstanding Medical Co Payment

row

I have a question, on my all 3 of my credit reports there are about 8outstanding collections on co payments i owe...none of which are actually medical bills but co payments i did not pay when going to ER dating back 9/2000 to 9/2004...my question is it legal for collections to report co payments on CR? Does SOL apply to co payments? On medical payments does SOL start from date of service or from collection reporting date? I feel that if SOL applies to co payments then the SOL should start at date of service for which the copayment is actually dued at that time...I live in NY (not nyc) and i think i read that SOL was 6 yrs...i maybe wrong...I tried to dispute with experian but came back verified...I have not ideal what i can do next if anything at all...someone please help if you can...thanks

Yes a co-payment can end up in collections if you owed one but did not pay it.

The date of service is the DOFD with a medical debt, so the SOL would start on the date of service.

is this the same in all states? i live in ohio and i have med bills that got sent to collections from as far back as 1993 the ca sent me 10 seperate bills with 10 different account numbers and 10 different amounts, I wrote them a letter and i told them i would pay the bills that where not out of sol and as for the others that they where past the sol well i wrote the account numbers and put paid in full on the bottom of a bank check ( i did not send a personal check) that was a couple weeks ago well i got a letter (bill) back from them today and they have put all the remaining bills onto one account number that is dated 11/1/2000 the original bill that came with that account number was for 199.00 and now they have put all the other bills under that one account number and the total for the bill shows now as 2700.00 so it is clear that they have lumped these bills onto one account number and iam guessing that if i did make a payment to them under that account number now it would open up the sol on any account i did not pay ?? any input from anyone on this one

Man, sounds like a sticky situation. Did you write the account # you were paying for on the check? My advice to you would be to consult an attorney. They will be able to give you better advice on this one. There are tons of NACA attys in New York. http://naca.net/find-consumer-protection-attorneys/Default.aspx. They may be able to help you out. I'd say maybe a complaint your AG, their AG, the BBB, and FTC is in order as well. IMHO.

How are they listed? How many different OC 's (Original Creditors) are involved? How long have they been listed? If there was a way to get them off of your credit reports by paying, would you have enough money to do so?

There are many ways people try and get these removed from their credit reports but I have a way that has never failed me, (4 times over the last 4 years), is to never talk, write, acknowledge in any way to a collection agency EVER about a medical related bill. I only deal with the OC. And then, I never speak with anyone their as well. I only write.

A message to all newbies is that you can have things removed, fixed, paid, etc.. without ever having to speak to anyone.

Generally this is the tact I use for any medical collection. First I pay the OC with stipulated endorsement on the check stating that only the OC can cash the check. I tell them that they are responsible for the actions of the CA (Collection Agency). Additionally, I state that by sharing any information with a collection agency after a bill has been paid is in violation of HIPAA laws. It is important that you have not spoken or corresponded with the CA that was used by the OC. If you have, you may have waived your rights under HIPAA. As soon as that check has been cashed, I dispute it with the CRA's (Credit Reporting Agency). The OC can't respond to the CA at this point and is scared off by the HIPAA violation. Consumers have no action (can't sue) for HIPAA violations but Uncle Sam can fine heavily ($100,000). Do a search for WHYCHAT and you should find this method. It sounds as if this may be a possibility for you as co-pays aren't as exorbitant compared to the insurance covered portion.

In fact, the only blemishes I ever get on my reports are medical collections by the X for my kids. I never know about bills until they hit my credit report, typically for 30 or 40 bucks each. Because I am the Health Care provider for my kids, my name is used for the collections. BS I know. Those pesky little co-pay amounts can rob my FICO of 75-100 points. Your goal should be to have them removed. You never want a paid collection on your report.

yes i did write the account numbers on the check of the accounts i was paying, not one of these has ever shown up on my credit report, iam assuming since they are out of the sol they can not put the on my cr, iIhave a freind that works for a different ca and she was the one that told me to pay the ones that are not out of sol and do not pay the ones past 6 yrs old she said it did not matter if they lumped them togather or not sol is sol and they where uncollectable she said just return the bills to them and write sol on them and i would not hear from them again ill post the letter i sent to the ca on here

HMC

837 Crocker Rd.

Westlake, Ohio, 44145

Date Account # Amount

04-17-2006 4366208 $129. 70

02-28-2006 4370252 $248.71

05-14-2004 4353763 $120.57

01-25-2001 4352009 $192.00

06-24-2000 4365609 $297.31

11-17-1999 4352001 $930.00

03-20-1998 4351993 $420.00

01-28-1998 4362208 $350.00

04-06-1994 4361370 $500.00

03-30-1993 4360521 $720.00

Total Of 10 Seperate Bills. $3908.36

Dear H M C,

This letter is in response to your bills, statements dated 12-17-2006 concerning the collection of the above referenced accounts. A copy of your bills attached.

I will not be taking the offer you made to me of $2750.00 to settle. These are 10 seperate bills with 10 seperate account numbers.

I do not believe that I owe this debt, and therefore I am disputing this debt. I have verified the state statute of limitations for debts of this type through Ohio courts as six years. Therefore, the statute of limitations for the collection of some of these dates has expired.

However I am sending you payments for the bills that this rule does not apply.

Date Account# Amount

04-17-2006 4366208 $129.77

02-28-2006 4370252 $248.71

05-14-2004 4353763 $120.57

01-25-2001 4352009 $192.00

Total of 4 seperate bills $691.05

I hereby require that you take the following actions:

1. Accept this payment in full as the bills older then 6 years are out of the statue of limitations for the state of Ohio (the FDCPA rules apply)

2. Forward a copy of this letter to the creditor who alleges that I owe the debt, inform them that I am disputing the debt and paying the above accounts

3. Any negative reference made by your company on my credit reports to any credit reporting agencies will result in swift legal action against your company.

Except as specified outlined herein, I am requesting that you cease all contact with me about the alleged debts. Any further contact should be strictly in conformity with the FDCPA: It should be limited to providing me with the documentation requested in this letter, informing me that you have ceased collection efforts on the alleged debt, or stating that you are taking a specific action in relation to the debt such as commencing a collection lawsuit. Obviously, I would raise the statute of limitations as an absolute bar to any lawsuit.

Any further contact should be made in writing, and should be submitted to my home address by mail.

By Ohio laws you are not permitted to call my place of employment as you did, or make any harrasing calls and/or false statements, since this is what in fact you have been doing (phone records at work). You need to stop this illegal practice of false or misleading statements immediately.

Checked reports today and all of the collections copayments have been removed from my Experian and Transunion reports however they are still on my Equifax report!!! I had called the CA back in Feb 2007 and asked them to send me something in writing of all the collections they claimed i owed...they sent me a computer printout of the accounts...so i wrote the CA a DV letter regarding all the accounts ...and CA deleted all of them w/o me disputing them with the CRA...but now i have to dispute with Equifax...hopefully they will be remove from that report also...