DV'ing by e-mail: Yes or No?

Drew

Well, the point is, you have the 30 days from first communication to decide if you want the communication to continue. Once you've DV'd them, they're supposed to only call one more time to tell you what their intent is, and then to stop calling until they provide DV.

If you like listening to your phone ring, don't bother...

Besides...its about a 50/50 chance they've got the wrong person, wrong account, wrong amount, or are not licensed to collect in your state.

CA's exist because people don't bother to DV them...

Let's just assume I'm passed the initial 30 day period. The negative TL's are showing under the OC's name, but the CA is collecting on their behalf. If, I DV the CA they can literally take years to respond because they're not under strick timelines. Or, the OC can take two seconds to present documentation. Therefore, sending a DV would be an $8 shot in the dark that would probably get verified by the OC anyways.

Am I right or completely off base here?

If you're past the 30 days, DVing the CA won't stop them from trying to collect...but, if they should happen to report to the CRA's they'd have to mark their TL "in dispute". The fact that you've asked for a DV may even pursuade them to send the debt back to the OC...in which case, you might get another CA who you can timely DV.

The point is...if you've got money to work with...call up the OC and offer to pay them if they'll call off the CA. If you can't come up with the money, then your only other choice is to do the DV dance hoping to delay things long enough until another solution presents itself.

I just recently sent "DV"s to all my accounts in question. I have recieved in the first week three varifications that the account was paid in full or was removed from my credit report because the SOL had run out, or they didn't want to fool with it.. These are all accounts way past first notice to collect. it cost me like 68.00 for the CMRR between my girlfriend and me, but so far is well worth it. even if I only get 50% return to me thats worth it