2 CA's for the same account.

pinkeysas

I paid collection agency A for a debt owed to Cingular wireless a year ago(before finding this site)

And now collection agancy B is trying to collect on the same debt.

I have paperwork proving that i paid collection agancy A for this debt.

However, I called cingular to see if i might have had 2 accounts that went to collections with them. They say no they only have one account in my name and they sold it to the collection agency they work with which is collection agancy B.

So, does the money that I paid to collection agency A not matter because they did not apparently legally own the debt??????

I would first find out if Collection company "A" was one used by Cingular as their collection agency. I would also look on my credit report to see how it reports now. It's also possible that Collection company "A" & "B" are the same as I had an occasion where the company changed names but both were listed on my credit report. :evil: They removed them both! :D

Collection agency A (the one i paid) is Cavalry Portfolio, they are still reporting on my CR but as a PAID collection.

Collection agency B is AFNI, they are reporting on my CR as an UNPAID COLLECTION.

I don't think these are the same company.

I did check with Cingular and they told me they sell sold the debt to AFNI.

My husband had something similar happen. SBC sold his old bill to two different CAs. He paid one, and the other kept trying to collect. I would send the letter from CA-A to CA-B and tell them that it's already been paid. See where that gets you before you go any further. That's all it took for us to have my husbands duplicates removed.

Where the amounts for both the same???

Because for me, the CA that I paid was only $207 (CA -A)

And CA-B is for $493 but still for cingular.

And according to Cingular they only have ONE account in my name that was sold off to collections.

Get a letter from the original creditor stating that you had one account with them and that account is paid in full. Send the collection agency a nutcase letter saying you will sue if the TL is not removed from your credit report.

It does not matter what they are reporting. As long as the original creditor can show that the account was paid and you have proof tell them they have 5 days to remove the negative item.

Thats the thing, when I contacted Cingular they state that they sold the account to AFNI like 3 years ago.

AFNI is listed on my reports as a $493 UNpaid collection with Cingular as the OC.

Cavalry is the CA that I paid $207 to, and they claimed to be collecting for Cingular as well.

So according to Cingular, AFNI is the only CA they work with. So I probably got scammed by Cavalry, because i paid them without asking for validation or anything because it was before i found this site.