Do you think this is considered a student loan?

malcolmkms

I have a CA contacting me trying to collect on what they say is unpaid tuition from 2001. My wife (because I'm deployed to Iraq) called the school they said my student loans didn't cover all my tuition and there was a remaining balance of $3800, my wife told them I wasn't aware of this and asked them to provide us with documentation, they did but it's a just a sumary of how they came up with this number. This isn't being reported on my CR nor has it ever to my knowledge but according to them it has been outstanding since 2001. Can they sue me over this and if they can any thoughts on why they haven't up until this point? By the way the CA says the debt is now $6600. I noticed on my CR that this CA(Recovery Management Service)has been looking at my CR. My wife says a letter came in the mail from them and they called last week. Do you think they're about to put this on my CR?

Who was the original lender? The school? None of my colleges would have let me sit in class if the bill wasn't paid in advance or on a signed payment plan.

Did you leave during a semester that was already paid for and then not get the credits? Sometimes the funding will be withdrawn and then the school still charges you... just wondering how this came to be, maybe it will help answer your question.

Who was the original lender? The school? None of my colleges would have let me sit in class if the bill wasn't paid in advance or on a signed payment plan.

Did you leave during a semester that was already paid for and then not get the credits? Sometimes the funding will be withdrawn and then the school still charges you... just wondering how this came to be, maybe it will help answer your question.

Suntrust was who I had the student loans through at first then they we're transferred to Nelnet. Small school in VA.

I didn't leave early. The school says it's fee's and tuition that the student loans didn't cover. I had them to send me documentation but they sent me like an account summary which any numbers could've been plugged in there, it was on a word document. The said they would be sending me more documentation but it had been archived.

My sister had something similar happen. It sounds as if this is a debt directly to the school, not a student loan. Although they can send it to a collection agency, it is not like a student loan in the fact that they can't garnish your wages, take any tax returns, etc, without going through the same procedures as any other creditor.

My sister had something similar happen. It sounds as if this is a debt directly to the school, not a student loan. Although they can send it to a collection agency, it is not like a student loan in the fact that they can't garnish your wages, take any tax returns, etc, without going through the same procedures as any other creditor.

Considering that this may be the case any thoughts on SOL. I know that there are no SOL on student loans. Would a company send a student loan to a CA?

If I had to guess, I would say it is not a student loan, which is good because they have less recourse and also because student loan defaults can stay on the credit report almost twice as long.

It looks like it is going to be reported though, so if your credit is near pristine or very good you may want to settle on the amount and get a payment plan you can handle.

There is also a special section here for student loans where you may want to pose the question as well.

http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=182

It looks like it is going to be reported though, so if your credit is near pristine or very good you may want to settle on the amount and get a payment plan you can handle.

I hope not and its been almost 7 years, why haven't they reported before and why would they now? If they do report it and it's not a student loan it should fall under the 7 year removal correct? So I should be able to have it removed shortly thereafter. No my credit isn't pristine, but maybe one day.

There is also a special section here for student loans where you may want to pose the question as well.

Yeah I thought about posting there but I read the sticky that says newcomers read this before posting and it stated not to double post, so I was kind of torn where to put this because it's a collection but it's also dealing with student loans. I would like to put it over there as well but I want to follow the forum rules.

I'm in the same exact mess with RMS right now. I registered for school in March of 2005 and moved across the country and by the time August rolled around for school to start, I had completely forgotten to withdraw. They want 1502 in tution and late fees for classes that I never once attended. When I called them to ask, I missed the one year fee appeal time frams and was told that I wouldn't be able to appeal it anyway because I didn't officially withdraw. I really don't want to pay 1502 in tution and fees for a school that I never attended.

Is there anything that can be done about this, because RMS has now become a major pain in my a$$ and won't even settle the account or anything.

I would like to thank everyone for their help so far. My wife talked to the school and they're supposed to be sending the archived paper work so that we can see the breakdown. They also told my wife if we we're going to make a one time payment they would accept it but if we needed to do payments we would have to go through the CA.

As LadynRed pointed out, you are protected by the Soldiers and Sailors Amendment. You need to go to your JAG there. Give them the basic info, and that the requested papers are being forwarded. What you want to know is if you need to do this, or, can your wife go to the local here in the state's upon receipt of the requested items.

Stay safe and don't let the idiots here cause you any problems. Get the job done and come home. Always remember there are too many veterans here who will always stand beside you.

Semper Fi

USMC Retired

Vietnam 68/69

First of all, since you are deployed and on active duty you have some protections under the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act.

Thank you, I am aware of the rights that I have with the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act formerly known as the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act.

Debts owed for 'primarily educational benefit' do get classfied as 'student loans'.

Oh how I wish this wasn't true. Thank you for the information LadynRed.

As LadynRed pointed out, you are protected by the Soldiers and Sailors Amendment. You need to go to your JAG there. Give them the basic info, and that the requested papers are being forwarded. What you want to know is if you need to do this, or, can your wife go to the local here in the state's upon receipt of the requested items.

I will look into it.

Stay safe and don't let the idiots here cause you any problems. Get the job done and come home. Always remember there are too many veterans here who will always stand beside you.

Semper Fi

USMC Retired

Vietnam 68/69

Thank you and I appreciate your service to your country.

When my daughter was deployed she got hit with the same kind of stuff. I had her authorization to talk to her creditors so I wrote to the school as if I were her. I explained that I was in the US Army deployed to Iraq as a combat medic and how this was negatively affecting my stress while deployed and that when I returned it was my full intention of completing my education and getting my nursing degree. I begged them to pull it back from the CA so I could pay them directly and that I was young and just starting out in life and this was SO hurting me and my creditworthiness. I also pointed out that Jacksonville was a Navy town and I couldn't believe that they would hurt a deployed serviceman like this...blah blah.

I sent it to the president of the college.

I was SHOCKED! His letter was full of apologies and gratitude for "my" service and not only would they pull it back from the CA, but the school forgave the debt!!!!!!:mrgreen:

Hers was for only 1/10th of your debt so they may not forgive it, but I think if you play the military card right and to the pres of the college, you might get a workable solution.

BTW, thanks for your service! Three of my kids will be joining you folks over there in July. DD will be back for her second tour. Her husband is going to be at the same camp (that is too cool) and my son will be there with his Blackhawk unit! Hoooah!

Mom

(USAF vet 1984 -1987)

momof5, thank you for sharing that. What an outstanding avenue of approach. I do agree as to the amount maybe making a difference as to a write off, but, just the simple wording like that can change the whole picture and attitude of a creditor/college.

malcolmkms, if you see a group from the AF who have come to your area to entertain you, look for the Bass player. His Bass is a Black Telecaster and he wears glasses. He's also an E-7 (can never remember AF ranks) and the leader of the group. If so, go up and say HI! to him. He's my nephew (married to my brother's daughter). He's home now, but, could be coming back soon. The last I remember they come over at least twice a year. Then, do not hesitate to harass him as to having the most skating duty in the Armed Forces. He was in Colorado Springs for some time, then they transferred him back to Wright and created a whole group and choir around him. Trust me, he is approachable.

BTW, I didn't do 20 for my retirement. It is due to too many bullet holes and shrapnel wounds. Besides this site, I am among the many Veterans who work regarding benefits for our troops, past and present, by dealing with Senators and Congress, both state and federal, as well as just getting the word out. The biggest thing we are on now is getting back what was promised to us upon retirement. AND, compiling info and anything else we can obtain in getting David Chu removed from the DOD.

When my daughter was deployed she got hit with the same kind of stuff. I had her authorization to talk to her creditors so I wrote to the school as if I were her. I explained that I was in the US Army deployed to Iraq as a combat medic and how this was negatively affecting my stress while deployed and that when I returned it was my full intention of completing my education and getting my nursing degree. I begged them to pull it back from the CA so I could pay them directly and that I was young and just starting out in life and this was SO hurting me and my creditworthiness. I also pointed out that Jacksonville was a Navy town and I couldn't believe that they would hurt a deployed serviceman like this...blah blah.

I sent it to the president of the college.

I was SHOCKED! His letter was full of apologies and gratitude for "my" service and not only would they pull it back from the CA, but the school forgave the debt!!!!!!:mrgreen:

Hers was for only 1/10th of your debt so they may not forgive it, but I think if you play the military card right and to the pres of the college, you might get a workable solution.

BTW, thanks for your service! Three of my kids will be joining you folks over there in July. DD will be back for her second tour. Her husband is going to be at the same camp (that is too cool) and my son will be there with his Blackhawk unit! Hoooah!

Mom

(USAF vet 1984 -1987)

Thanks a lot, glad it worked out for your daughter. It's a great idea.

malcolmkms, if you see a group from the AF who have come to your area to entertain you, look for the Bass player. His Bass is a Black Telecaster and he wears glasses. He's also an E-7 (can never remember AF ranks) and the leader of the group. If so, go up and say HI! to him. He's my nephew (married to my brother's daughter). He's home now, but, could be coming back soon. The last I remember they come over at least twice a year. Then, do not hesitate to harass him as to having the most skating duty in the Armed Forces. He was in Colorado Springs for some time, then they transferred him back to Wright and created a whole group and choir around him. Trust me, he is approachable.

Maybe I will get to see him, I'm a Army guy but I live and work with the Air Force. They call an E-7 a Master Sergeant.

BTW, I didn't do 20 for my retirement. It is due to too many bullet holes and shrapnel wounds. Besides this site, I am among the many Veterans who work regarding benefits for our troops, past and present, by dealing with Senators and Congress, both state and federal, as well as just getting the word out. The biggest thing we are on now is getting back what was promised to us upon retirement. AND, compiling info and anything else we can obtain in getting David Chu removed from the DOD.

Thank you for that we need more people like you helping us out. What a great soul.

Once again thanks everyone for the pointers and advice with this matter. The wife and I decided that this wasn't a battle to fight, just couldn't afford to have this to hit the credit report at this time and it possibly being considered a defaulted student loan. So the school agreed to pull the debt back from the CA and we made a payment in full today with some added finance charges it was $5165.67 (Oouch). We will look into recouping some of the finance charges back at the 6% rate for the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.

Outstanding!, as the Gunny would say.

Thanks for telling me the rank. I'm always kidded about that. I do the same for the Squids. I can never remember all of the insignas, so just go with the stripes, such as 1st Class, or Chief. But, the Corps, never a problem. Besides, the Gunny would make me do 100.

In the end, you and the wife will find you made the right decision as it will definitely pay off in the end. And, most definitely, get what you can, because, if you wait too long, David Chu will take it away.

Just so you know, many of the veterans on the internet have photos from Iraq and Afghan that the media refuse to show to the people, such as ribbon cuttings at the new schools built, the people, as a whole. You get the drift. And we share them with people by sending to those in our email addresses, and they are then forwarded again and again.

Also, in June, for the first time since April 1, 1969 (no comments, please), I get to hug the Marine who pulled me out of the bush during an ambush. I found him in 1999 and he just came back from Kuwait. He has been there for some time as he worked for CSA, the company who keeps the vehicles running for you. You break them he fixes them. He has retired, catching up at home, and waiting for the weather to clear, then he is on his way here. Yes, we are going to share many laughs and many tears. We have 10 Marines to remember from that day, plus the whole experience. He and I are two of three survivors.