Best route to get a lawyer to sue?

JuniorNY

Figure out what your claims are under which statutes. Based on your comments, I am assuming you are talking FCRA.

Get the annotated statutes, and find caselaw for the FCRA statutes you'd want to sue under. Find out the names of firm(s) that represented the plaintiff(s) in those cases. Also, PACER access would help (or asking nicely of someone here who has it like Nascar ;)). Find out who has sued the CRAs in your state recently. Get the names of those firms and start contacting them.

NACA is a start I guess, but it's really nothing more than a guy claiming "yeah I take consumer cases". You don't know what actual experience they have, and if they are just looking to drum up business and will tell you to file BK or something stupid and unrelated.

To summarize, find out who is actually litigating against the CRAs in your state. I can't imagine there is a shortage of lawyers in NY.

Excuse me, IHate, but the NACA members I know are fairly serious about this stuff. It is not a BK referral in disguise.

I would agree with the other posters, get yourducks in order. But expect to pay a retainer of some kind ( 500-1000 sounds right) and be ready to pony up for the filing fees ( @500 for filing and service). And be patient.

I'm not saying there are not serious NACA members, I'm sure plenty of them are. I'm just saying it's like the yellow pages. There will be lots of listings, but not much about whether they are really for you or not. I think using PACER/Westlaw is a more targetted way to find someone with actual experience in what you are trying to accomplish.