elyse449

A merlot gal...

I'm not a snob, so I most definitely wouldn't mind drinking the one you mentioned! Besides, I like to try new things. There was one wine I had tried once that I SWEAR tasted like it had bland butter in it, it was disgusting...guess I'm just not sophisticated enough, lol!

Elyse

Actually, Francisan Cellars out of Napa makes a killer one (but it's about $25). Also, St. Michelle is pretty good, too - got a 91 and only costs $15.99. Not bad. Also, Rutherford Hill is really good, but again, you're gonna pay about $28.

Another good cheap but fantastic wine is called 2 Up - isn't not a merlot, but a shiraz. It cost $9 at Costco and it was my friends favorite when we were trying a whole bunch of bottles among about 20 people.

Actually, Francisan Cellars out of Napa makes a killer one (but it's about $25). Also, St. Michelle is pretty good, too - got a 91 and only costs $15.99. Not bad. Also, Rutherford Hill is really good, but again, you're gonna pay about $28.

Another good cheap but fantastic wine is called 2 Up - isn't not a merlot, but a shiraz. It cost $9 at Costco and it was my friends favorite when we were trying a whole bunch of bottles among about 20 people.

MMM...Gosh, you're making me want to go get it NOW...LOL! I will try one of this this weekend...I can't wait!

Elyse

Yellowtail Merlot is quite tasty. I think the 1.5L bottle I have in the frig was under $10.
This is an australian wine, isn't it? I've enjoyed some also...

Know what? Are all Merlot's so reasonably priced? I'm starting to think I'd be a CHEAP date!!! LOL!!!

Elyse

Sorry to have different taste buds than you, but yellow tail. *yich* Sorry.

Sorry to have different taste buds than you, but yellow tail. *yich* Sorry.
See, that's what I mean...I've had some Yellow Tail that was delightful, and some other...same grape, same vintage...that was obviously gone south. It depends on how it travels in getting to you.

And, the store where you bought it. Out here in the middle of Iowa, I'm kinda stuck with our local HyVee. Last winter, they had some $30-40 wine (you know, the good stuff) up on the top shelves...right under the space heater. Bottles had to be 80 degrees or more. Couple weeks later, they had a grocery cart sitting by the checkouts...marked down to $3 a bottle.

Never thought about that, but yes, if a wine cooks, it's well, cooked. I ruined some good wine on the way back from Napa because it was in the trunk of my car.

Good point.

Since you are in Washington, you should have a pretty good choice of some local wines that arent too pricey.

We like Covey Run. We always get Lemberger and Syrah.

Latah Creek is good too. If you like any desert wines you should try the Huckleberry D' Latah.

Anthonys Home Port restaurant has a very good Cab-Merlot and it was some funky name I can't remember...something about a dog? and a tail?

If you don't mind stooping to drinking "kool-aide" wine, I enjoy Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot.

Mmm...Kool-Aide.:rolleyes:

Know what? Are all Merlot's so reasonably priced? I'm starting to think I'd be a CHEAP date!!! LOL!!!

Elyse

Never say you're cheap, dear...........say you're Inexpensive!

For an average but smooth red wine-I have been drinking Big House Red lately, the step up sister is the Big slammer......I like it and for the true conissuers,sorry, there is no cork! I kind of like this new innovation.....I find a definite advantage to no corks! How many of us will reseal a bottle and use our little gadgets to expel the air???? This is the only one I will buy corkless though....

I too love merlot! My fav go to brand is Yellow Tail. You can find it just about anywhere and it is only about $7-10 a bottle. Try it, you'll like it.

I have a question, do you drink your merlot cold or room temp? I like mine room temp. but sometimes, I like it cold.