Amex payment plan or not...

L

Just had two Amex cards recently cancelled. Had not been able to pay it off completely for almost a year due to a separation etc.

If anyone has had dealings with them what are the chances they would set up a payment plan once I explain my situation.

Someone kept calling my job in the beginning impossible to negotiate over the phone.

Just had two Amex cards recently cancelled. Had not been able to pay it off completely for almost a year due to a separation etc.

If anyone has had dealings with them what are the chances they would set up a payment plan once I explain my situation.

Someone kept calling my job in the beginning impossible to negotiate over the phone.

Payment plan? They will set one up. But is that the best thing? Basically once you finish payment plan your credit will show 'settled,' a negative mark suggesting you didn't pay the full amount. In my experience AMEX is ruthless. If you will get a settled mark anyway, might as well pay a % only in one go.

Get them to stop calling. I told an AMEX collector who was calling my boss, I told him I know my rights and wish to exercise my right to instruct you not to contact me by phone any longer. Nonetheless he called again, but the second time I instructed him the calls stopped. Prior to that I recall getting calls from this guy at 5am and 10pm (violations I'm told).

Background/experience... I was late on one of my two amex cards 6yrs bk. Amex then put both in collection, all my other cards, even though current suddenly went into collection also. I immediately paid the full balance on the late card that went into collection first with assurances it would move both cards to current. Turned out a lie. It marked me with a 'settled notation' and everything remained in collection. Moral of story, collectors at AMEX will say anything and deliver nothing. The only thing your money will get is for them to stop calling. But you can get them to stop calling without money by exercising your rights.

Interesting sidenote, for some reason my AMEX debt and settlement don't even appear on my report now after 6yrs.

My negotiation experience with Amex was horrible. After a long term hospitalization of both my child and myself, I initiated a repayment plan with them the day of my discharge (my credit was perfect and I was so upset that I was 3-months behind on everything). The deal was biweekly payments until I was caught up and they would not cancel my card (this was my business credit card). Not only did I pay faithfully, but I paid more than the agreed amount. Could have knocked me down with a feather when I received notice that my card was cancelled. When I contacted them, they stated they were exercising their rights and did not care about our agreement. At that time, I had, I think a $1500 balance and choose to exercise "my right" to place them on the bottom of my repay priority list. Was I stupid? Probably....it is now 3years later and I owe them nearly $4K and have constant phone calls alternating from Amex to various CA.

My negotiation experience with Amex was horrible. After a long term hospitalization of both my child and myself, I initiated a repayment plan with them the day of my discharge (my credit was perfect and I was so upset that I was 3-months behind on everything). The deal was biweekly payments until I was caught up and they would not cancel my card (this was my business credit card). Not only did I pay faithfully, but I paid more than the agreed amount. Could have knocked me down with a feather when I received notice that my card was cancelled. When I contacted them, they stated they were exercising their rights and did not care about our agreement. At that time, I had, I think a $1500 balance and choose to exercise "my right" to place them on the bottom of my repay priority list. Was I stupid? Probably....it is now 3years later and I owe them nearly $4K and have constant phone calls alternating from Amex to various CA.

Sounds familiar. Encourage you to send a letter to Amex and CA saying you wish to exercise your rt to demand they no longer contact you by phone. Thereafter phone calls are a finable violation. This prevents them from bothering your boss and family. I successfully communicated this to them by phone and the calls stopped. 3yrs might be SOL in your state. They were the most aggressive with me, and made outright lies in order to get money.

Sounds familiar. Encourage you to send a letter to Amex and CA saying you wish to exercise your rt to demand they no longer contact you by phone. Thereafter phone calls are a finable violation. This prevents them from bothering your boss and family. I successfully communicated this to them by phone and the calls stopped. 3yrs might be SOL in your state. They were the most aggressive with me, and made outright lies in order to get money.

Sent AMEX C&D multiple times, especially after one of their CA's scared my child after stating "he was coming after me." Unfortunately that was over a year ago, before I found this forum. They contacted family members, neighbors-despite having a validated mailing address...which just irks the poop out of me. The CA's stopped for a while, had a new one call for a short time, and this week AMEX has started again.

We are in Ohio, which I believe has a 6 or 7 year SOL.

• 4 months later...