Do I owe or not?.....

ribbit1072

I have a charged off account that I have paid half of it off (before I found this site!) dang it. Anyway, I was planning on paying the other half a couple weeks ago, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. I went ahead and disputed the account with the CRA's thinking by the time they verified it, it would be paid off. Well, I got my investigation results back from EX and they deleted the whole tradeline. What does this mean, the CA couldn't verify the information? and what should I do, pay off the other half or wait and see if it falls off TU and EQ? If they can't verify I just wasted 250.00 bucks right?

I'm still a credit noob (but learning a lot from this site) and I wouldn't pay anything that wasn't on my report. The only way I would pay was if my wages were getting garnished or they were sueing me.

I disputed a Providian card that was charged of with a 2500 balance with all 3 cra and it was removed. Been about 4-5 years now, they are never getting paid.

Dispute with the other 2 reports. What probably happened is the company didn't respond, so it was deleted.

Who knows why they deleted. They may have just passed on the remaining balance to someone else, once they got what they thought they could out of you. In the absence of a settlement agreement, you still owe it.

I don't understand why people think their credit report determines the actual validity of the debt.

I don't understand why people think their credit report determines the actual validity of the debt.

Why would anyone pay a debt that isn't on their credit report? Especially old debts?

I'm not saying it is right to go get credit and not pay, but stuff happens. If they are not reporting properly then there is no documentation, owing and paying is different?

Maybe they didn't have the documents to support you owed them the debt so they deleted, why pay?

Even if I did owe it, I wouldn't pay it unless they would agree to delete or they were suing... Remember, a paid CO is just as bad as an unpaid one.

Thats what I thought and since they couldn't verify it with EX they probably can't verify it with TU or EQ either, so I'll wait until the investigations are all done before I decide what to do. Thanks!