Sallie Mae Scares Me......

Chloe1214

From what I have read on the forum I fear she has no hope......I have a friend with 6 loans from Sallie Mae, and they are ALL in a derog status stating "Current Account/was delinquent 120 days past due; Payment Deferred" She thinks the loans were deferred. They said that the loans came out of deferment and put them back in deferment when she called. Is there anything she can do to have the lates removed? What would be the best approach to take?

OK then..is it reasonable then to say that "she was uninformed about the dates of deferment when she left college" - assuming they were immediately deferred out of school, If she calls SallieMae up (and gets someone who's NOT in India) or writes them with a goodwill letter now, it might do something.

They don't have to do anything at all. If it's explained to them that it's a huge misunderstanding and she feels terrible about it..yadda yadda yadda...

Is she planning on making payments to them anytime soon? Sure, they deferred it again but how long will it last this time? I'd have her consolidate (makes several loans into one) then see how the monthly payment will be, and start paying it ASAP. Recent paymetns will show SallieMae that she's genuinely interested in fulfilling her obligation to pay the loans, and increase the likelihood they may cater to her goodwill requests.

That's a very good idea. I will bring that up with her. She is 50 now. In the 70's she took out a lot of student loans and paid them all back. She went back to school later, took out student loans and these are the loans now. I will talk to her about consolidation. That may be just what she needs. Thank you so much for the advice.

sallie mae is horrible with your loans! I consolodated my loans last year and they are still reporting the "old" loans with a balance and past due and on my consolodation loan they are reporting that I was 120 late from 01/06-08-06 and I didn't get that loan until 09/06. I have disputed it 3 times, called Sallie Mae (which ironically is based 10 minutes from my house, but I get someone in India...) They keep telling me that they have taken care of it but continue to report inaccurate information!

That's just aweful. That's what happens when we outsource to other countries for pennies on the dollar. It's all really sad. You would think for all the money they make we could at least get someone who MIGHT give a darn on the phone. That's an entirely different argument for an entirely different website though. lol...

Hey moleary - If they're based 10 mins from you....take all your documentation to the building and make an appt with the highest ranking person there, dump all your documentation out on his desk, tell him you're not leaving until his company fixes the errors they caused your credit. Hell if you have to, give them an ITS or something......you don't deserve to have bad credit for any wrong THEY made....

From what I have read on the forum I fear she has no hope......I have a friend with 6 loans from Sallie Mae, and they are ALL in a derog status stating "Current Account/was delinquent 120 days past due; Payment Deferred" She thinks the loans were deferred. They said that the loans came out of deferment and put them back in deferment when she called. Is there anything she can do to have the lates removed? What would be the best approach to take?

My friend who told me about ::Spam:: services. Had this same issue with Sallie Mae, somehow here accounts are now showing Paying As Agreed....thats why i was trying to get others opinion on the forums about this company.

removed link by mod