Need Advice about AFNI Collection Notice for 11 Year Old Account.

djm

Hi, this is my first post here and I’d like to solicit some advice.

I received a collection notice for $20 from a company called AFNI stating “This account has been acquired by our agency for collection. We believe it is in your best interest to resolve this account.” The account is for a phone number I last had in 1996 or so in New York. It is entirely possible I may have owed Verizon (who I think was Bell back then) this amount at some point. After doing some research, it seems that AFNI has bought out every old Verizon account and is trying to collect on them. I’d actually be fine with sending Verizon a check for this amount if I owed it, but after reading about AFNI, I sure as heck don’t want to give money to a company as terrible as they appear to be. Especially since it seems Verizon wouldn’t ever see a dime.

From what I’ve read, since I last had this account so long ago, the SOL has expired in both New York and in my current residence of Pennsylvania. Since it is also been over 7 years, they can’t put this on any of my Credit Reports and have it affect me negatively. I’ve read they could sue me, but that I could have it dismissed with prejudice on the grounds the SOL has expired. It seems they have every right to try and collect money from me for this old debt I may owe, but by law, I don’t have to pay it and it can’t hurt me.

My questions are, first do I have my facts right? If I do, should I just send these people a cease and desist letter telling them not to contact me or should I ask them for Debt Verification first? I’ve read all over the internet that AFNI usually disregards DV’s and gives you a form response asking you to mail them a copy of your Driver’s License and Social Security card. Lastly, should I just pay these people $20 to get them to go away? My credit report is spotless now except for 1 late student loan payment 5 years ago. I’m looking to buy a house this year with my fiancé. I don’t certainly don’t want to have AFNI possibly Re-Aging this ancient debt just to spite me... if they haven't already.

This is all new to me. I was much a happier person before doing research into Collection Agencies. I just can’t believe the things they do.

Thanks for any advice.

should I just send these people a cease and desist letter telling them not to contact me or should I ask them for Debt Verification first?

Something that old should not be able to be legally placed on your report. These guys just bought a slew of these old phone accounts. I just sent them a C&D and reported them to my State regulatory agency for good measure. ... They're gone now.

If you pay them the $20, it is possible that they could place that information on your credit report as a paid collection, which might affect your credit score.

Send them a cease and desist. Check your credit reports in the next month (do it free at the official site https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp), and make sure they have not put anything on your report.

If they do...it's war. ;) Immediately contest it with the credit reporting agency as too old, and report them to your attorney general's office. You could probably also start an FDCPA lawsuit over it.

I sincerely doubt they will do anything over $20 besides move on and forget about it.

If you pay them the $20, it is possible that they could place that information on your credit report as a paid collection, which might affect your credit score.

Oh that's just nice. I had no idea they could do that. I'm sure as heck not sending them a dime now. I hate to waste money sending these people 2 different certified letters, one for the DV, then again one for the C&D. I think I'm going to skip right to the C&D. I really just have to question the logic of tracking someone down for an 11 year old debt of $20. The manpower, research, and postage alone probably cost them $10 already.

And what's nutcase?

And what's nutcase?

a Nutcase letter is basically a FOAD letter on steroids. Look for a user named CM Chase. She is the "nutcase queen"..... she posted several threads all about nutcase letters......

Basically, it's a letter to a CA who is trying to collect on a debt that you know for a fact is uncollectable (be it settlement, SOL, or whatever). It's a mix of ITS, FOAD, and DV letter all rolled into one. It's GREAT for those out-of-statute debts that the scum-sucking CAs are trying to collect on.

Search the threads for "nutcase" and you'll find 'em. They're also VERY HILARIOUS!!! A definite mood-enhancer they are

I thought SAW had the title? :wink:

My bad... Yes, SecretAgentWoman is the "offical nutcase queen"....I must have been t hinking of something else...did Chasey post a thread about "nutcase letters are fun to write"...or something like that? That's perhaps what i was thinking of.