How many cards should I try to get during repair?

I have some old CO's for credit cards, past SOL, falling off reporting over the next year. My scores are still pretty low (535-615 FAKO), but I have good reporting from mortgages and cars over the past 4 years. I don't have any current credit cards. I got a pre-approval offer for a platinum cap1 card without annual fee, no interest for 6mos and 4% over prime after that. I applied online and was approved! I didn't get a CL yet, but I figure it was the best offer yet. I was declined last week for a Lowe's card.

I don't want to get alot of cards, but I do want to add some TL's with revolving credit. What's a good number? I know Cap1 doesn't report CL, and am not sure how that impacts my CR.

Any advice would be helpful!

*newbie but my opinion *

I went with Orchard first -- just 1 card for 12 months, then researched and obtained a better one with no annual. Remember - age also counts so don't cancel the old one out just because you get a new one.

My understanding -- applying around and opening up a lot of new credit and getting inquiries as well will damage your credit too.

Be patient, get some history established with the new card before you start obtaining any more.

You'll need at least one revolving account, however, how many after that is up to you. Keep in mind it's not all about your utilization, but also about age. That is, a 5 year old cc with a $1k limit does better for your score than a 1 year old cc with a $1k limit, if the utilization is the same.