Closed Bally's Account - What Type of Acct is it?

jessME

Hi everyone!

I'm new to CIC and am trying to dispute a letter I received from a law office (collection agency). I closed out my Bally's account almost ten years ago, Bally's stopped the auto-deductions, cashed my "account closure fee" check, and didn't receive any further communications from them, until a year later when I received a call from a collection agency stating I had an outstanding debt. I disputed the debt and didn't hear anything about it again for years. Then I received another notice from another agency. I disputed it again. Didn't hear anything for years, didn't see anything on my credit any longer, so I thought I'd finally been free of the "alleged" debt, then two weeks ago I received the collection letter from the law office. Does anyone recommend that I start with the debt validation or do you think it would be more effective if I just stated that the statue of limitations have expired and to discontinue any further collection attempts? Also, does anyone know what type of account or contract that would be considered, it's not like a line of credit, some I not sure what it would be considered...

Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide!!!

Even though the SOL for Maine is 6 yrs. and you are well past that time period, your state allows 20 yrs. in which to collect. This means they will continue to try hoping you don't know the law. :evil: I would send them the "cease and dessist" letter stating to not contact you again and the SOL is up. I had a company come after my elderly parents for a debt that was over 25 yrs. old. :roll: I sent them the letter, they vanished! 8-)