Medical Charge off

ajcstr

I had a situation where my son recieved medical treatment (an MRI) which was incorrectly denied by the insurance company. I didn't realize this had happened and the item was sent to collections. I called the insurance company and they paid the claim, but not before it hit my credit report (Trans Union and Experian) as a chargeoff. I sent letters to both Experian and Transunion detailing what had happened along with my EOB statement which proves that the insurance company paid it. Trans Union removed it, Experian did not - They just changed the dollar amount to zero.

Is there anything else I can do? I tried contacting the CA, they said to contact the providor who took the stand that even though it was an insurance company fowl up, I should have been more on top of it.

Should this even be on my credit report under the circumstances??

unfortunately, this kind of thing happens way to often. and yes, we should all be "more on top of things" when it comes to claims and insurance companies, but most of us are not- we trust the providers and the insurance companies to "handle" our claims properly...

You may have to threaten to sue EX for wilful non-complaince under FCRA Section 623

Is it worth writing to the providor and sending them all the documentation? (I only called last time). I just don't want to chance that it would show up on the other two credit reports as a result of probing.

When it hit, I had one credit card cancelled by the issuer and 3 raised their interest rate to over 25%. I cancelled two myself just to keep the existing rate. Sucks that they can do that over bs like this, last time I was late on a payment on anything was 2001. This thing hit in 2005 so it will be on there for 5 more years.

"probe" all you want, the 3 bureaus are 3 completely separate companies, neither one knows what the other is doing, besides it is your credit and a TL that should not be there due to "clerical" error.

Getting help from the provider depends on whether or not the debt was "sold" or "assigned" by the CA. If it was sold- then the CA owns it and the provider has no authority to do anything. If it was assigned then the provider still owns the debt and possibly can help.

Most medical collections are assigned. So, writing to the provider is definately worth a shot. The furnisher of the information needs to remove the TL since it was a mistake and it is "poisoning" your CR.

"probe" all you want, the 3 bureaus are 3 completely separate companies, neither one knows what the other is doing

Well, the woman I spoke to last time sounded like she woild have called TU and told them to put it back on. Do I just say it shown on my Experian report or should I not even be that specific.

Im pretty sure it was assigned, not sold because the CA told me they could not change it without direction from the providor (and I always trust the CA's :D )

But that brings me back to the original question (between you, me and the lampost), is this:

1) A valid entry that should be there because bottom line, it was paid late

2) An invalid entry that should NOT be there because the insurance company screwed it up

3) a valid entry that most providors would remove under the circumstances so as not stick it to me

I realize that I am responsible for anything not covered by insurance, but I can't see where I can be held responsible for a mistake that was ultimately corrected. Ill fight it some more if its a (2) or a (3)