getting my house

Background check thru recruiter

I did a search but did bot find what I was looking for, or rather pertained to my situation, so I thought I would ask.

Going to speak to a recruiter tomorrow re: a construction project coordinator job - nothing to do with money or finances, just paperwork for construction jobs. This is my first meeting with them. Have not spoken to or know about the company with the actual position.

Recruiter sent an email with app and background check form - Not to keen on it only because it is my credit and I worked hard over the last couple of years fixing it so we could get the mortgage we have - sorry I digressed.

Anywho - most of the posts I read re: background checks the people were in finance or security positions where lots of money would be around. This is construction apaperwork, inspections etc

Does it seem odd for a recruiter to ask for this before even interviewing with the potential company? Could I / Should I stave this off somehow?

And lastly - is this a hard or soft pull? I am thinking it will be a hard pull and stick for 2 years - don't like that either.

Thanks a bunch - will do more searching in the A M

I don't think a back ground check checks your credit worthyness....I think what they are doing is checking to see if you have any warrants or tickets through the local police.

Now if you are going for a security clearance, then yes they pull your credit.

Many employers do background checks but now a predominate amount of employers are also doing credit checks. Many prospective employees have no control of this these days. :cry: They can't do it without your permission but many have chose not to do so as maybe the job was not worth it anyway :)++

MY DH works for a Pharmaceutical company in IT. He had to fill out all kinds of background screen paperwork. We never heard anything and he works there now.

But when I started his credit repair process, I did see an inquiry from a company that said something about background checks and listed his current companys name.

His credit isn't fabulous so I don't know what they are looking at. I do agree I think they run you to make sure you don't have a criminal record or warrants though.

I don't see where a background check would hurt your report.

They want to know about unpaid parking tickets, etc.........and mostly

want to see if you are a criminal.

Your credit could be in the toilet, and to some major corp's it just wouldn't matter. Been there. Done that. It was fine.

Thanks for all the reply's.

Guess I will filll out the form and let it go. You would think there would be another way to check criminal history rather than thru a credit report.

I work for a financial company with a pristine reputation. They aren't going to take a hit for little ole me. That's just the way of business.

As much as I didn't like it, I was required to pass a credit/background check for the position that I'm in now. Not only that, I was required to be fingerprinted and pass an SEC (Securities & Exchange Commission) check as well. I had a couple of flags, and thanks to the information on this board, I had saved my receipts and proof of payment so I was able to prove these items were done.

I understand it from a security standpoint, there's so much identity theft and so many people trying to cover up past wrongdoing or position themselves where they can get into wrongdoings.

When I went to the police station, to get fingerprinted, I felt like a criminal. I've never been in trouble. It was a very humbling expeirence.