CA is on the other side of country

This is probably a stupid question but I;ll ask anyway.

:roll: I have a collection account for a dentist bill listed with Trojan. I dv'd them just last week. Wouldn't it be possible since they are thousands of miles away to just file a lawsuit in my local court for violating the FCRA and betting that they just won't show and get a default judgement?:twisted:

This is probably a stupid question but I;ll ask anyway.

:roll: I have a collection account for a dentist bill listed with Trojan. I dv'd them just last week. Wouldn't it be possible since they are thousands of miles away to just file a lawsuit in my local court for violating the FCRA and betting that they just won't show and get a default judgement?:twisted:

I live in VA, and a CA lived in AZ (2300 miles). I sent sued them after they didn't respond to my DV's etc on time-barred debts. Well, they hired a lawyer local and they showed. I still won, but if you plan on suing make sure you have your case ready.

• 3 weeks later...

That is not stupid and unethical. You can file a lawsuit in the appropriate venue. If they do not show, that is on them. The tactic here is to sue them for such a small amount that they will not bother to show.

The catch here is that the SCC has no power to grant injunctive relief, nor can a judge in any court order a delete of a TL. In other words, it is enforcing the judgment from across the country that becomes a problem.

I sued a CA that was 2300 miles away for debts they wouldn't delete and belonged to my father (same name). The debts were, $15, $18 and $45. I gave them an out by deleting and I would cancel the suit. I also sued them in small claims court where they would not be allowed representation by attorney. The debts were also time-barred, but they still hired an attorney to remove the case to general district! I still won, but why would they spend the amount of money they did to defend an $78 debt. That's a unique situation, but it can happen.

I dv'd them a month ago and they won't respond. The f-ers are reporting a 10 year old account for the second time and frankly I've HAD IT with their BS. I have no proof of the date of service because the a-hole OC is just as bad as they are. Who would think that they would need to keep a dentist bill for 10 years. To make things even better they just changed my account to "open" but it is still marked as a collection so I am even more confused and frustrated than I was in the first place. It shows up on my report as a late payment and it's lowering my credit score.If I have to I'll die with this on my CR. I will never pay them one red cent.

In that case you need to dispute the TL as obsolete to the CRAs. Do it until they won't take your disputes anymore. Maybe apply for a car loan if you are in the market. THEN sue them under the FCRA (you have no CoA right now). You can throw FDCPA in there too. :)