Jump to content

Can the state take my house?

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to the forum and have a question. I currently live in the house that my grandparent owned which when they both passed away went to my mother since she was their only legal child(she was adopted). She went through a process of having my grandmother's only living relative sign over her claim to the house on the advice of a lawyer. The deed was changed from my Grandmother's name to my mother's name for 1 lot only the other lot is still listed under my grandmother. Long story even longer... My mother has sinced passed away and I am her only child. She was on state Medicaid and had a lot of medical bills. I have not received any calls for collection at this time. I did notify all collectors and the medicaid office of her death and supplied a copy of the death certificate. My question is if I go thru the process of getting the property settled and the names corrected will this open the door for the state or any other creditors that I am not aware of to come in and force me to sell the house to pay the debts? Next question: any ideas on the best way to correct this problem?

Any help will be appreciated.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, When your Mother signed up for assistance from Medicaid she also assigned her rights to property over to them.

Medicaid is a S L O W process. It will take them time to process the paperwork, possibly up to a year. Yes, they will require a sale of the property and take $xx.00 from it. Fortunately, they will take a settlement amount less than you think.

The names getting corrected may not necessarily matter in regard to any attempts to keep the State from forcing the sale. Your Mom told them of her assets, so they know. By most, if not all State laws you have to go through probate. Everything has to be disclosed there as well.

The best thing you can do is be proactive and discuss things with them. Fortunately, (in my Mother's case after she passed, same situation), they were reasonable in their amount that needed to be paid back. You can also get all the charge amounts from the different Hospitals and Doctors offices that she went to in writing. This will help you get an idea of what the State paid on her behalf and to make sure any amounts are accurate.

If you want to try to keep the property, you need to know the amount that the State wants paid back for the Medicaid. They will have to be paid then by other means you may have before the Estate is settled.

Hope this helps and I am sorry for loss. Good Luck, keep your chin up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.