TU failed to initiate an investigation after 60+ days!

WantingSexyCredit

I sent a dispute certified mail to TU on 4/28/07. Transunion signed for the certified mail on 5/4/07, however to date I have not received any results. I contacted TU and they asked me to fax the original request which I did. I was told by a supervisor that a rep failed to do their job, they also left me a voicemail stating this. They said they would request a copy of the original letter from their research dept. because they claim to scan all mail received. Well they called back to say that they could not locate the original request. I was then told that they have started a new investigation based on the information faxed to them.

Are they in violation of not responding to my dispute within 30-45 days? Or are they off the hook because an investigation was never entered into their system by a rep?

Thanks for your help.

Yes federal law clearly state that all credit bureaus must respond to disputes within 30 days!! And yes there is a $1000 fine. But i doubt your are going to sue the credit bureaus because you are going to have to show damages as well and it was willful. Frankly you dont to send a dispute by certified mail it is much faster to do it online you will definitely get a response because it is defintely entered into their system.