Inquiry and Phone Call from General Revenue Corp.

virginiabound

Just to update this, dh got another phone call from GRC yesterday, and he explained that he wanted written notice, asked what the account# was, and they were quite nice about it. Even gave him a contact name at Fairmont to find out what was going on.

I called the contact (who is out of the office this week), but got some help from someone at the Finances Office.

Let's put it this way, dh is VERY forgetful. So much so that he can't remember paying another CA about this same debt from Fairmont. Apparently he made payments (which I confirmed from some of his saved bank statements) and when one of the direct payments was NSF he forgot/didn't pay attention to letters received.

The CA, Williams and Fudge sent it back to Fairmont, who in turn has sent it to GRC.

I have a feeling this has been assigned, and I'm going to call the contact at Fairmont on Monday to see if we can get it pulled from GRC and work out a payment plan with the school.

Surprisingly, neither the school, Williams and Fudge or GRC are reporting to any of the big 3. Let's hope it stays that way, and hope we can work something out with the school, or a PIF for not reporting to CR with GRC since they have actually been quite helpful...if you can say that about a CA!

Another note of concern, since this would be a written agreement, we live in Virginia now (obviously haha) and the debt occurred in WV. SOL for VA on written is 5 years and WV is 10. Could they use the 10 years if they sued?

I don't know, I guess I'm still wondering why this wouldn't have been covered by his federal student loan through Direct Loans...

According to some in the Student Loan forum, many tuition debts are not held by state SOLs, and in fact there may be no SOL at all.

According to some in the Student Loan forum, many tuition debts are not held by state SOLs, and in fact there may be no SOL at all.

That'a good to know, thank you :)

Oh well, at least we're dealing with some pretty helpful people about it. We can't afford to PIF right now anyway...hubby is supporting both of us as I just got my greencard and am looking for employment. Once that happens we will be ok, and get all of the monkey's off his back.