Rule of thumb for DVing old CA accounts?

Bear with me because I'm still a bit fuzzy on this subject. I have a few CA's that are trying to collect for charged off CC accounts - all are within SOL (IL). What is the best way to start with these? I've read on these boards that if you don't respond within the first 30 days that the CA contacts you, then DVing is pointless because they don't have to respond. On the other hand, I've also read numerous posts that state "never pay a CA". Any advice for a newbie?

Hi,

Even if you are past the 30, send a a DV anyway. It can't hurt. Also, check with the OC and see if they will pull the account back from collections.

As a general rule, you will want to work with the OC. Only if the OC refuses to work with you, should you work with the CA.

Send everything CMRR and wait for the responses.

Thanks for the advice. Is there a specific process for contacting the OC's? Is it better to call them or just send them a letter requesting to deal directly with them rather than the OC. Any form letters available to help guide me through this process? Thanks!

As a general rule, any rule with the word "never" in it is bad advice.

DVing is not pointless after 30 days per se. It is true that they don't have to obtain verification or cease collection activity, but they still must report that the debt is disputed.

You need to look at your situation and decide your course of action, but starting with a simple, non form DV is generally not a bad idea.

As a general rule, any rule with the word "never" in it is bad advice.

DVing is not pointless after 30 days per se. It is true that they don't have to obtain verification or cease collection activity, but they still must report that the debt is disputed.

If this is the situation, then could you please explain how the 1 2 punch thing works. Unfortunately, I found this late, like many others and am DVing way past the day notice. The ones that I am getting now are not on my credit report so if I were to dispute, the new ones, there is nothing to take off my credit yet.

Am I just in a different situation or am I misunderstanding?

Thank you.