Approved for mortgage, & AMEX approved

texastea

I so wish I had known about this website sooner. We struggled the hard way to get our FICO scores into the mid to upper 600's and thought we would have to wait a lot longer to qualify for a mortgage due to our foreclosure 3 years ago. We move into our new home next month!

We are being very careful with our new credit, but are trying to increase our scores faster because we both travel for our jobs but can't qualify for our employers' corporate cards so we are floating our travel expenses ourselves for right now. Talk about tough!

We've started attacking our credit through disputes and debt validation (letters went out today) so I am really hopeful that we can see some positive results before the end of the year. After spending some time in the various forums, many people seem to be actively applying for various credit cards here and there. My question is should I be doing this too? I saw a thread that recommended some creditors to apply to post BK, but we never filed BK. Should I just keep taking care of our shared AMEX card ($1500 CL) and make the mortgage payments and school loan payment on time and leave it at that? If I should be applying for more credit is Orchard still a good possibility? I saw Target and thought I saw someone mention Lowe's.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm so grateful to have found this forum and have already told several family members about it.

Thanks!

Credit reporting agencies say that having 2 major (VS or MC) helps with credit, but only if they do not have small LOC. I would say dispute your bads now, keep your mortgage and SL current. Dispute your inquiries off for applying for the mortgage and take it from there. I would get a little work done before going for cards because you have to get rid of the older bad. It is really hard to say not knowing your credit report details. But a mortgage will really help. If you do apply for a card, apply for one that increases their limit for you easily. Capital One does not do this for me, but the expensive Trubute does for my DH. Also, you could apply for one of the secured cards that people have listed here that do not mention they are secured and put at least $1k in there. That is what I would do. GL.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll need to sign up for one of those credit monitoring services as I begin doing battle with the credit bureaus.

My husband did some research is suggesting we use www.privacyguard.com. He said it's the service recommended by Frank Abaganle (con artist who was played by Leonardo DiCaprio in Catch Me If You Can). Ever heard of this site?

We've been to a couple of his lectures and were really impressed w/him but unsure about this site.