CA pulling a fast one!!!

swtchickie

I have an AMEX account that is in collections with a CA I have been dealing with for a few months (before I found CIC). The CA is URS. Anyhow, Amex is reporting on my CR, but URS is not. I know this is a no-no, but URS takes payments directly out of my checking account every two weeks. Initially, I had set up about six weeks of payments for $50, then a few weeks ago, I upped the payments to $60 every two weeks until 8/27, at which time I am to work out further payments. They always send a letter telling of the impending payment amounts along with the dates they are to be withdrawn. When I received the latest letter, all of the dates and amounts were correct except for the withdrawal on 8/27, which states that the amount will be $100. I never agreed to this amount...I agreed to $60. Just wondering what your thoughts on this are before I do anything else dumb. Thanks for your responses in advance.

They are required to send you a confirmation letter when they electronically debit your account. If you did not agree to the $100 debit, then fax or mail them a letter stating that you did not authorize that amount to be withdrawn. You may even need to setup a stop payment at your bank, which is good for 6 months.

I will never ever understand why anyone turns over a bank account to a collector.. its like handing a steak to a dog and saying, DONT eat it.

first of all close this account and in the future get another account just for this only.. I have one account I use for payments like this HOWEVER it is not a debit, I WRITE the checks... and if they do choose to go into it there is about 1.00 over what I owe them..

go read BUDHIBBS.com and you will why this is a very bad idea.

also AMEX doesnt deal with outside CA's (as in sold") so my guess is AMEX still owns the account which is why they are reporting.. whereas the CA maybe working for them.. but I have yet to hear of AMEX selling off an account to a CA.. they like to keep this sort of thing in house.

I agree with Carolina, you should never hand over the information to your account like that. I've seen it too many times where a CA took advantage of the situation and pulled whatever amount they damn well wanted. Sending them a letter saying you didn't authorize the last payment may or may not work. They can still take it and claim they never received the letter. You're better off closing the account and just sending them the payment. For bill payments I keep a savings account that only allows money to be sent out by me. Any requests for money coming from other than myself are completely disregarded. Even if it's done electronically.

highly doubtful...

you can try but I wouldnt be CMRRing them I would call AMEX NOT the CA (never talk to a CA by phone).. and close that account and don't give out your banking info to anyone.

you can ask AMEX but my guess is the only way they will pull it is if you make a full payment they are more then likely NOT want to deal with the hassle of a monthly thing which is why they farmed it out to CA in the first place