Has your debt caused problems for relatives with creditors because they live with U?

mb2008

If I live with a relative, who has filed bankruptcy or had bad history with some of the same companies I'm currently in good standing with, could that possibly have a negative affect on me? Would these companies hesitate to extend credit increases for me, because I live with someone who owes them money? Why or why not?

Its possible. Credit reporting depends on more than just SS#. Name and current address are also part of the mix. Since FICO scoring is a secret, its hard to know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that FICO does some "data mining" to cross reference other people with credit problems who might be living at the same address...and somehow figures that into predicting your "credit worthiness".

As Willing suggested, there is a good chance that some of their info may cross over to your report. The only thing you can do is just keep checking your CR and dispute anything that isn't yours. A credit company can't hold another person's debt against you but you should make sure you aren't reflecting their woes either.