Getting Ready For Action In Court

We've been fighting a CA over a hospital bill for emergency services. Originally, husband went to ER for treatment (7 mnths ago). They gave him a few pain pills, told him to suck lemon drops & go home! Husband was upset & believes he got a bunch of crock. He refuses to pay due to the treatment (it never worked). He had to follow up w/ another physician. Plus, when filling out admitting papers, he refused to sign the HIPPA waiver. Doesn't trust hospitals, doctors or CAs! Our insurance never paid. We had a $100 deductible & $75.00 ER fee. So it didn't cover squat.

Now, CA sent us a summons to sue (under $200) & we want to know how to answer for defense? We think it's ridiculous to pay for an idiot that shouldn't be practicing medicine. In most businesses, unsatisfactory service are usually not chargable. Shouldn't hospitals & doctors be in that same catagory?

Any advise is appreciated.

There are only two professions I can think of where you get paid if your right or wrong. Weathermen and doctors. Your likely gonna loose if they can prove to the court your husband was infact the person they "treated" (to lemon drops???) and sent home. I fought a medical bill once on the same grounds. I lost badly. The judge did not care that what they did did absolutely nothing, nor that their mis-diagnosis landed me in the ER 3 days later for the same issue.

What about the HIPPA? Can we fight it on those grounds plus teh CA supplied another person's info to us, trying to collect a NSF check that wasn't ever ours. They admitted mistake & took it off...

Bona Fide Error on the check. I can actually understnd that, no one is perfect.

As far as signing HIPPA, all that form means is that you acknowledge your rights. In most states, they still have the right to bill, and to share your information with anyone that has a business agreement with them. Even if not, there is no right to private action under HIPPA, and HIPPA violations don't mean you can avoid paying.

As far as your treatment, what was the complaint and the treatment that you are unhappy about?

Oneshot. I definitely understand how you feel.

I went to the ER once when we first moved to Ohio. I waited for over 3 hours in the waiting room. I got back to the room and waited another hour. I left without ever seeing anyone. I got so sick of sitting and waiting I just told the nurse...I'm outta here.

I still recieved a bill in the mail.