Direct TV ????

ndbilly

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had bad experiences with Direct TV also. They were constantly trying to overcharge me in different ways just to see if I would pay up. When I discontinued my service, they tried to shake me down for almost $500. I actually owed about half that.

I had a "direct TV" like service once....it required a dish.

They made a "pathetic" attempt a grounding it. (For those who understand electricity.....) Anyway, one day there was a storm. Lightening struck the dish.....it traveled down the cable, blew out the TV, VCR, and video game (Burned holes right through them!) Lept out of the TV and hit the programmable phone which was on the floor at that moment...and while it was at it....traveled from the cable to the plug into the outlet, travelled though the electrical wiring in the room and took out the stereo.

I have had "AtHome", Charter, and Comcast ever since (depending upon where I lived). And I rarely had problems with them!

I have the cable, internet and phone service and for the past year got the $33 each deal....My phone bill with Bell South was hovering about $100 and I was paying $33 for the last year for the same service! It is now $40+, but still LESS than half!

"They made a "pathetic" attempt a grounding it. (For those who understand electricity.....) Anyway, one day there was a storm. Lightening struck the dish.....it traveled down the cable, blew out the TV, VCR, and video game (Burned holes right through them!) Lept out of the TV and hit the programmable phone which was on the floor at that moment...and while it was at it....traveled from the cable to the plug into the outlet, travelled though the electrical wiring in the room and took out the stereo."

Oh my God!!! This is the scarriest, yet funniest thing I've heard. Sounds like an episode of the twilight zone.

By the way they denied me with 563-620 scores

They are the only ones you can get all the football and baseball games from. They have exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings which you can not get through cable. I had them for 5 years with no problems and I liked the service especially NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings. Their channel program locator is superior to cables endlessly scrolling crap. Their customer service was good and the product is way better than cable and I loved it. I hated cable service.

BUT then They began sending the bills late. The last bill (for example) was sent March/22 and payment was due to them March/28 or it was LATE. No way I can get a payment to them on time through snail mail (I wasn't doing Online Bill pay at that time). So they kept charging me $5.00 late fees. I discontinued the service and they ripped me off for a few dollars extra.

I haven't had TV service since March and i don't want to go back to them but I have to watch football and I don't want to have to go to the sports bar every sunday morning or when games are on I want to watch. I called them and they wanted to stick me with a 2 year agreement which I can't do as I may be moving and may not be able to get the service. And then they will screw me like they did a few of you. I am going to see if I can get it month to month.

They are the only ones you can get all the football and baseball games from. They have exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings which you can not get through cable.

You can get MLB Extra Innings on Comcast http://www.comcast.com/baseball/

You're right though about out of area NFL games. Direct TV paid almost $4 BILLION, yes I said BILLION for the exclusive rights. Yikes.

-r

with Direct TV. I have been working out a deal with them. They are good about that. I just got $440 in programming discounts and month to month service instead of a 1 or 2 year commitment. IF you sign up for 2 years you better be ready to pay and have service for 2 years because they are sticklers on that. You better read the fine print of your contract. If you agree to something you better stick with it. If you get a discounted HDTV receiver from them or a TIVO receiver you better stick to your contract or when you try and get out of your contract they will hit you up for every dollar you agreed to pay them.

They are a hundred times better than cable.

1 I like Brighthouse cable better. Then again, that is digital cable. With that you get movies on demand, TV shows on demand, and high speed internet. (On demand is not pay per view, it is free)

2 The contract is not as ironclad as you think. They are trying that with me now. They are trying to say that the box they sold me is a lease, but I contend it was purchased. I did not sign a contract, so bring it on.

1 I like Brighthouse cable better. Then again, that is digital cable. With that you get movies on demand, TV shows on demand, and high speed internet. (On demand is not pay per view, it is free)

2 The contract is not as ironclad as you think. They are trying that with me now. They are trying to say that the box they sold me is a lease, but I contend it was purchased. I did not sign a contract, so bring it on.

all the BS I have gone through with the cable companies. I have digital picture with Direct TV. As far as my own receiver box I purchased it from them and I received a rebate for it which made it free. It is my now own box and they did not ask for it back or try and charge me for it. Same for the satellite. I got that free from them and now it is mine.

Are you talking about monthy receiver fees? The first receiver is free of monthly service charges of $4.99 any additional receiver is charged $4.99. If you try and break a 1 or 2 year agreement with them you owe them the remaining agreement monies (monthly service charge) for a receiver. If you weren't paying any lease fees for your boxes I don't see why they can now charge you. If you were paying monthly receiver fees you are out of luck if you break your 2 year. You will have to pay them the remaining amounts owed. They have that printed right on their agreements they send out in the mail. I am not sure what they are charging you for????

I have digital picture with Direct TV.

Digital does not mean better, it means WORSE. All digital signals ('cept HD) are compressed, causing loss. Converters, take digital signals and convert them to analog anyhow, otherwise, most TVs would not be able to display the picture. Some converters do offer a pure digital signal, but only with certain types of connections.

Cable companies carry analog signals because it is required by law until Feb 2009. When they stop carrying analog signals, folks will either have to have a digital ready TV or a set top box. This is true for people who use over-the-air TV too.

-r

Digital does not mean better, it means WORSE. All digital signals ('cept HD) are compressed, causing loss. Converters, take digital signals and convert them to analog anyhow, otherwise, most TVs would not be able to display the picture. Some converters do offer a pure digital signal, but only with certain types of connections.

Cable companies carry analog signals because it is required by law until Feb 2009. When they stop carrying analog signals, folks will either have to have a digital ready TV or a set top box. This is true for people who use over-the-air TV too.

-r

picture is better than what I had with cable. When I signed up a few years ago cable didn't have digital quality picture and Directv's picture quality was far better.

If you are saying digital is worse...worse than what exactly?, High Definition. Yes of course it is worse than HDTV. Everything is. But comparing apples to apples the digital picture of Satellite TV (whether it is Dish Network or Directv) is better than the standard cable TV picture.

I just read my contract from beginning to end. If you have one of their advanced boxes there is a 24 month Hardware Leasing agreement, a regular receiver there is a 12 month leasing agreement. And if you break your 2 year or 1 year agreement and cancel your service you have to pay the remaining prorated lease fee of $150 for a standard receiver, $300 for an advanced receiver. On the flyer I received in the mail it is in clear BOLD print. """""Receivers are at all times the property of Directv and must be returned upon cancellation of service, or additional fees may apply""""

They got you, You are stuck for that.

I'm comcastic HD with, like dive said, TV shows on demand, premium tv on demand, pay per view on demand, digital phone and cable modem... Does DirecTV have on demand? It's been years since I've been with them. Personally, I like paying one theft rather than 3 seperate ones. If directv had the old H cards, I might think about going with them, of course, I wouldn't have any contract. 8-)

I'm comcastic HD with, like dive said, TV shows on demand, premium tv on demand, pay per view on demand, digital phone and cable modem... Does DirecTV have on demand? It's been years since I've been with them. Personally, I like paying one theft rather than 3 seperate ones. If directv had the old H cards, I might think about going with them, of course, I wouldn't have any contract. 8-)

(Charter Communications)and only a little bit with Directv(late fees, but I worked that out with them today). Cable sucks. Like I said Directv are sticklers about every dime they have coming to them and if you try and break a contract early they will hit you up for every dime in the contract that they can. You better read the fine print and know what you are agreeing to and for how long. Directv product is much better than cable to me. And they have the NFL SUnday Ticket. I hate that scrolling program guide that cable has. Directv has everything that cable has(phone,internet, pay per view) and then some.

I actually got believe it or not $700 in free programing (not $440 I posted above)and discounts on a MONTH to MOnth basis for coming back to Directv. I just added it all up and forgot to include 6 months of FREE HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and 3 months of Starz Free. Some of what I got was Super Fan Free. Sports Package $2 a month instead of $12. $20 a month discount off my Bill. ETC ETC ETC. I likey. No way any cable company will do that for you. Cable Sucks far worse than directv in this viewers opinion especially limited NFL Football. Cable vs Directv. It is no contest. Directv wins easily.

You guys have some great info to the whole satelite thing. I'm with cable now and haven't had any complaints yet, but because of their rising rates, I've been looking at changing. The bad thing is that where I live there is only one cable company who has some of contract with my county that no one else can come in and compete, so they are the only game in town and aren't always concerned with customer service etc...

We have always stayed away from satelite mainly for the reasons everyone has mentioned in this post. I don't like long contracts and I've heard horror stories of those who have to disconnect early or, OMG, even have to move and transfer service. What would you say the best way of getting their service? Through local dealers, like the dreaded Best Buy, or is it better off going through the internet.

I did try to talk to someone from an online link, so I was like talking to a cars salesman. They either didn't speak english or made me feel like they just wanted to get your business at any cost.

They are all expensive if you are a new customer and it sucks. I could cut my bill in half if I were a new customer with comcast. I'm actually thinking about going with Verizon Fios TV, internet and phone. Anyone have any comments on FIOS? It's supposed to be better than both Cable and DirecTV

picture is better than what I had with cable. When I signed up a few years ago cable didn't have digital quality picture and Directv's picture quality was far better.

Digital is not a measure of quality. "Digital quality" is a sales term. They are implying that digital is better, it is not. Anyhow, the point is moot, cable is already digital and has been for years. Cable is simulcast, meaning they broadcast standard cable in analog. This is required by law.

Usually the problem with poor picture is associated with substandard cable, connectors, and splitters. DirecTV generally gives you brand new cable since their system requires a specific type. Run a new cable line from the pole to your TV, you'll get the same results.

Local channels, public access and some others are broadcast as delivered to the cable company, if their signal sucks, that's how it is broadcast.

If you are saying digital is worse...worse than what exactly?

Analog is uncompressed and has better picture quality. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true.

comparing apples to apples the digital picture of Satellite TV (whether it is Dish Network or Directv) is better than the standard cable TV pictur

The signaled delivered from satellite and from digital cable are exactly the same. A pure analog signal from cable, is better.

-r

They got you, You are stuck for that.

Actually, they do not. You see, my box was not leased, it was purchased. Since it was purchased, the 2 year lease does not apply. I never signed any lease agreement, but I can show that I paid for and got the receiver.

I did lease 2 standard receivers, and for that I am obligated to pay a cancellation fee for the remainder of the year, but the 2 year fee is not mine to pay.

There is no way that I would pay $450 for a receiver, plus $6 a month for 2 years, only to have to return it at the end of the two years.

Directv has everything that cable has(phone,internet, pay per view) and then some.

The sat phone will only run you $1000 and $1 minute.

Cable-$33 (even cheaper with Vonage) a month free calling to North America, cheap everywhere else.

Internet? Not even on the same planet as cable. Much slower, less bandwidth, high latency, $$$$.

PPV- Need a phone line to sat receiver for on screen ordering, or you can call it in.

No "On Demand" with Satellite.

Cable dosen't care about the weather either.

-r