Who's scores went up when they consolidated SL's?

simplysilky

Just wondering because right now I am in my grace period and am about to consolidate $13k worth of student loans. I need my credit scores to go up....like yesterday!

Why would they go up? You aren't adding any positive history, nor are you deleting negative history. By consolidating, you are simply closing several TLs with history and replacing it with a new TL with no history. (... and the old TLs will say "consolidation" in the notes.) You may gain or lose a couple points. I wouldn't expect anything else.

Personally, I'd believe NOT consolidating will help your scores much faster, as you'd have monthly positive history over several TLs instead of just one or two.

Why would they go up? You aren't adding any positive history, nor are you deleting negative history. By consolidating, you are simply closing several TLs with history and replacing it with a new TL with no history. (... and the old TLs will say "consolidation" in the notes.) You may gain or lose a couple points. I wouldn't expect anything else.

Personally, I'd believe NOT consolidating will help your scores much faster, as you'd have monthly positive history over several TLs instead of just one or two.

Yes, I consolidate and i lost a few poiints because i did lose the years of positive history on the student loan. they were all closed and marked refinanced and the new tl posted. Unless those are new loans you will lose points. But you will be saving money.

Yes, I consolidate and i lost a few poiints because i did lose the years of positive history on the student loan. they were all closed and maked refinanced and the new tl posted. Unless those are new loans you will lose points. But you will be saving money.

Yes, these are NEW LOANS--not defaulted. I'm still in my grace period by 3 weeks. So the history of the t/l's would make a difference?

Yes, these are NEW LOANS--not defaulted. I'm still in my grace period by 3 weeks. So the history of the t/l's would make a difference?

Yes, FICO uses the age of your accounts to help determine your credit score. The older your accounts are the better it is for your score.

If the loans are very new you wont lose much. It is always best to consolidate those loans and save some money.

here is a link to the FICO info on what goes into your score.

http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/WhatsInYourScore.aspx