AMEX: Credit score requirements?

Green, One, and Delta are their lowest-FICO cards. 630 or so is typical low end for the latter two; 650 for Green.

If you look on creditpulls over on creditboards.com, you should find more specific info for your state and so on.

And, for the record, my most recent decline reasons from Amex with a FICO of 648:

We regret that we are unable to approve your request for the following reason(s):

Your American Express Acquisition Risk Score is too high (See below) Your application was processed using our American Express Proprietary Acquisition Risk Scoring System which assigns a numerical value to the various items of information we consider in evaluating an application. Your application’s total score exceeded our threshold for approval at this time. Listed below are the reasons that you did not score well compared with other applicants. (For reasons based on information in a credit report, the name of the consumer reporting agency is identified.)

High utilization of credit lines or insufficient utilization information (Experian)

Your consumer credit bureau score from Experian is too low (See below)

Insufficient established credit (Experian)

Proportion of loan balances to loan amount is too high (Experian)

Your consumer credit bureau score mentioned above was determined using a scoring system that evaluated the information in your file at the consumer reporting agency named above. The following are the primary factors in your credit report that affected your credit bureau score:

Proportion of revolving balances to revolving credit limits is too high.

Too many inquiries last 12 months.

I was given one as well. They pulled all three and I have 2 paid judgments, a paid tax lien and CA, not paid. I only had one open account from 2/07 and that was the first new account opened in 7 years. The rest were old bank loans, but paid and in good standing. Maybe I was a fluke!

They probably don't want to see any unpaids for over a certain amount, like $500. This model is used for school loans and still satisfies the government definition of no "adverse" credit. I was surprised to find that only my repo was an issue, not my cingular or orchard CA's.