My Son's Ticket

My son, age 17, was given a ticket for 'minor consuming' on June 18 2007.

I read the ticket very carefully to comply. On the ticket, there are three boxes for action to be taken. The first box says: Contact Court. The second box says: Juvenile Traffic Misd. (Court Will Notify) and this box was clearly checked by the Policeman. The third box says: Formal Hearing Required. (Court Will Notify). Only the second box was checked very clearly. The Police Officer wrote 20 days on the line above these boxes which says: Hearing date (if applicable).

We waited and waited to be contacted, but no one contacted us by telephone or mail from the police or the court. A friend of my son received the same ticket and also waited until last week when his dad contacted the court. My son's friend said the person at the court seemed upset that they had not been contacted in over a month and set a court date for my son's friend. I don't want my son walking into a court situation where he is already under suspicion of being late and non-compliant. We did exactly what it says on the ticket and the ticket clearly states the court will notify us.

I'm at a loss as to what I should do. My son wants this matter settled quickly because he has been and will remain grounded until this matter is settled. I am very afraid he will face a hostile judge because of the 20 days the Police Officer wrote on this ticket.

I have personally never been charged with any crime. I'm 54 and haven't had a traffic ticket since I was 19. I follow the law as a good citizen. I want to follow the law faithfully for my son, but I do not want him punished for a mistake made on a ticket (not by him or me). I would appreciate any advice. Thank you and may God bless.

:confused:

I second that. The best thing to do is go down to the court. It is MUCH better to do that then for them to have scheduled a court date they didn't notify you of and your son be in more trouble.

I would not worry about a hostile court because of it being past 20 days. He will be showing his responsibility by contacting the court to settle matter rather than hoping it will go away (as many 17 year olds would)

My son, age 17, was given a ticket for 'minor consuming' on June 18 2007.

I read the ticket very carefully to comply. On the ticket, there are three boxes for action to be taken. The first box says: Contact Court. The second box says: Juvenile Traffic Misd. (Court Will Notify) and this box was clearly checked by the Policeman. The third box says: Formal Hearing Required. (Court Will Notify). Only the second box was checked very clearly. The Police Officer wrote 20 days on the line above these boxes which says: Hearing date (if applicable).

We waited and waited to be contacted, but no one contacted us by telephone or mail from the police or the court. A friend of my son received the same ticket and also waited until last week when his dad contacted the court. My son's friend said the person at the court seemed upset that they had not been contacted in over a month and set a court date for my son's friend. I don't want my son walking into a court situation where he is already under suspicion of being late and non-compliant. We did exactly what it says on the ticket and the ticket clearly states the court will notify us.

I'm at a loss as to what I should do. My son wants this matter settled quickly because he has been and will remain grounded until this matter is settled. I am very afraid he will face a hostile judge because of the 20 days the Police Officer wrote on this ticket.

I have personally never been charged with any crime. I'm 54 and haven't had a traffic ticket since I was 19. I follow the law as a good citizen. I want to follow the law faithfully for my son, but I do not want him punished for a mistake made on a ticket (not by him or me). I would appreciate any advice. Thank you and may God bless.

:confused:

These types of citations are routinely given to minors for alcohol violations, it is not your responsibility to contact the court, when they get around to it they will issue summons for court date regarding the matter. The courts are so jammed and back logged with these cases it isn't funny, somtimes the issuing Officer doesn't even show up for the hearing. the Officer is not the one who determines the court date, he merely wrote 20 days as a reminder that court date for hearing may be set. My son's friend said the person at the court seemed upset that they had not been contacted in over a month and set a court date for my son's friend. Well I would have let her or him be upset for it is not your responsibility, read the charging document that was issue to your son, what does it say? The second box says: Juvenile Traffic Misd. (Court Will Notify) and this box was clearly checked by the Policeman. Ahhh, I thought I read that right. The best thing to do is go down to the court. It is MUCH better to do that then for them to have scheduled a court date they didn't notify you of and your son be in more trouble.

I would not worry about a hostile court because of it being past 20 days. He will be showing his responsibility by contacting the court to settle matter rather than hoping it will go away (as many 17 year olds would) In more trouble how? Please answer this for me. Showing responsibility, that went out the window when he was cited for violation.(Judges thinking not mine) Trust me I'm no laywer but I was a Police Officer for 20 years here in Maryland(Now Retired).

By the way, welcome to our community! you may want to post topics like this in the off topic thread. Good Luck

Uhh.. I would think this area would be the right place. It is a legal issue, and deals with procedure. Allbeit not credit related. Yet. (if a fine goes to collections....)

The clerk the friends dad got in contact with was probably upset because they don't want to be bothered by people who actually want to do the right thing and take care of it. means more paperwork for them ya know? Courts are busy, and would likely get around to sending you a summons but theres no harm in going down there to talk to them. A clerk might get mad about the paperwork, the judge will likely never know, or see it as a positive thing that you and your son want to handle the issue.

The best thing to do is go down to the court. It is MUCH better to do that then for them to have scheduled a court date they didn't notify you of and your son be in more trouble.

I would not worry about a hostile court because of it being past 20 days. He will be showing his responsibility by contacting the court to settle matter rather than hoping it will go away (as many 17 year olds would) In more trouble how? Please answer this for me. Showing responsibility, that went out the window when he was cited for violation.(Judges thinking not mine) Trust me I'm no laywer but I was a Police Officer for 20 years here in Maryland(Now Retired).

In more trouble for not showing up. 16 yo DD got cited for the same thing. We waited for a court date and received NO mailing tell us when one was. I was at the courthouse on an unrelated matter 3 weeks after it happened and asked how long it generally took to schedule such things. They sent me over to juvenile court and I found out a court date had been scheduled - in 2 days. We never did receive anything telling us when to come to court. If I hadn't happened on to it - the clerk told me she (DD) would have been cited for non-appearance AND (get this) a bench warrant could have been issued for her parent (meaning me). They could never give me an explanation as to why I didn't get notified - as far as their records were concerned they mailed it.

I would rather be proactive in court matters then to sit back and wait hoping someone else will do their job.

Go and see what is going on with the matter. Sometimes just waiting around will get more hassle for you in the long run. While you would have a defense, it would be easier to just get a date as opposed to having to deal with warrants or attachments.

Good Luck. If in doubt, contact an attorney in your area. many have free consults.

Uhh.. I would think this area would be the right place. It is a legal issue, and deals with procedure. Allbeit not credit related. Yet. (if a fine goes to collections....)

The clerk the friends dad got in contact with was probably upset because they don't want to be bothered by people who actually want to do the right thing and take care of it. means more paperwork for them ya know? Courts are busy, and would likely get around to sending you a summons but theres no harm in going down there to talk to them. A clerk might get mad about the paperwork, the judge will likely never know, or see it as a positive thing that you and your son want to handle the issue.

Cool Beans! But were not talking about anything credit related yet as you stated above yourself. Last time I looked I think I read this at the top of the thread: Is There a Lawyer in the House Hang out with our expert legal minds - get advice on lawsuits, procedure and credit case law.

I'm in total agreement with you about court clerks!

In more trouble for not showing up. 16 yo DD got cited for the same thing. We waited for a court date and received NO mailing tell us when one was. I was at the courthouse on an unrelated matter 3 weeks after it happened and asked how long it generally took to schedule such things. They sent me over to juvenile court and I found out a court date had been scheduled - in 2 days. We never did receive anything telling us when to come to court. If I hadn't happened on to it - the clerk told me she (DD) would have been cited for non-appearance AND (get this) a bench warrant could have been issued for her parent (meaning me). They could never give me an explanation as to why I didn't get notified - as far as their records were concerned they mailed it.

I would rather be proactive in court matters then to sit back and wait hoping someone else will do their job.

Relax dude! Your over reacting, the kid got an alcohol citation the equivlency a traffic ticket which you have the option to pay the fine or appear in court. I can understand what happened regarding your situation which happens somtimes and can respect you wanting to be proactive regarding court matters but as it relates to the judicial process we have to let it run its course. If Mom feels as though this is taking too long to wait for summons to come to court nobody is saying for her not to do anything about it. She can simply call the court and give the citation # and they will give her any activity on it if any. Let's not frieghten Mom with all of the getting in trouble and warrant language. They haven't even been to court yet. Jeez!

Not sure what your gettin' all uptight about - your words were:

In more trouble how? Please answer this for me.

Not trying to scare anyone... just sayin' that it's better to be safe. I'm sure it will work itself out. I just shared what happened with me and answered your question about what further trouble they could get in. IMHO contacting the court - whether in person or by phone is a good idea if you're worried about it - and since they posted they obviously were.