pterry

No response from NCO for validation - now what?

Hi - I am new so I hope I don't violate anything. :)++

Long story short: Amex handed over to NCO a $395 debt that I was in dispute with them about. The debt was their mbrship fee. My position is that I cancelled the account and they should not have charged me the member fee.

Using a sample letter from this website, I sent a letter to NCO, the collection agency, requesting validation. I sent the letter June 19 but have not received a response yet.

Do I wait for a response? After I get their response where they validate what I am asking, do I send a letter negotiating a settlement in writing based on the "How to get a creditor to make the deal you want" info on this site?

Is there a sample letter for doing that? I didn't see a link to one in the article.

Thanks anyone for some insight. BTW, I am in Texas.

IF YOU DID...

• send a copy of the receipt for the registered mail
  • a copy of your letter
  • and a statement that they have not complied with the FDCPA and that they are now in violation of The Act.

You're right on the verge of 30 days, so you might get your follow-up letter ready, give it a few more days, then proceed with mailing step 2. Wait another 15-20 days and if they still don't respond or remove it, you can follow up with the ITS letter.

IF YOU DIDN'T...

You might start over by sending your original letter CMRRR and start the clock again.

Go to the Main Menu / "Newbies start here" sticky thread and print out a list of the commonly used Acronyms... Makes for easier reading!

Good Luck! I'm in the same boat with the validation steps...

I did those 3 things, I think.

I sent the letter CMRRR and received the green return receipt. I kept a copy of my letter. But, I don't understand your 3rd point. Was I supposed to send them a statement that they have not complied with the FDCPA? I will check the debt validation forum as well. But, let me know. Thanks for your response!!

IF YOU DID...
  • send a copy of the receipt for the registered mail
  • a copy of your letter
  • and a statement that they have not complied with the FDCPA and that they are now in violation of The Act.

You're right on the verge of 30 days, so you might get your follow-up letter ready, give it a few more days, then proceed with mailing step 2. Wait another 15-20 days and if they still don't respond or remove it, you can follow up with the ITS letter.

IF YOU DIDN'T...

You might start over by sending your original letter CMRRR and start the clock again.

Go to the Main Menu / "Newbies start here" sticky thread and print out a list of the commonly used Acronyms... Makes for easier reading!

Good Luck! I'm in the same boat with the validation steps...

I'm in the same boat with NCO, and am about to send a follow up letter. I disputed with the CRA's and NCO dropped off, but yet, they continue with the calling (42 times in the last 2 weeks alone), they have not validated with me, I have never gotten anything from them, yet they continue to violate. I'm waiting for them to really mess up so I can sue.

Have you disputed with the CRA's?

I'm in the same boat with NCO, and am about to send a follow up letter. I disputed with the CRA's and NCO dropped off, but yet, they continue with the calling (42 times in the last 2 weeks alone), they have not validated with me, I have never gotten anything from them, yet they continue to violate. I'm waiting for them to really mess up so I can sue.

Have you disputed with the CRA's?

42 times in 2 weeks! Damn! Did you send them a cease & desist? NCO = evil.

42 times in 2 weeks! Damn! Did you send them a cease & desist? NCO = evil.

I can't send a C&D because the debt is still within SOL till Jan. 08. It's for $100.00.