Help Me Please!

stressedout2k5

I just leased a place on my own for me and my 9 year old after many years of living with others in a very crappy place. I was able to better my credit and save up every dime I coudl and thought I as okay as I signed a 2 year lease. After only 2 months, to my surprise, I just found out the owner has listed the place for sale. I foolishly have put myself in debt again for the move. I am more concenred if the landlord sells the palce, can I be kicked out and have no where to go and no all my savings went into the move? Or does he have to leave me in the place even if it sells. the lease says they can only show it 30 before the end of the lease and I have right of first refusal. It was a standard generic lease. I am really worried and about to cry. Please someone help. I am worried me and my child will be left homeless on the street.

I think that this is the time for you to contact a local legal aid society and let them look at your contract and send your landlord a stern letter.

Your landlord probably does not understand the contract that they gave you if it was something purchased at an office supply store and just acted out of a need to take care of a problem they have.

There are a number of things that can cause the landlord to have problems, like the mortgage they have on your condo is an ARM and the payments went up a lot etc.

Charles

You didn't really say what your lease states about the situation. The leases that I use for my tenants have a "termination upon sale of premises" clause. This leaves the door open for the landlord (me) to cancel the lease with 60 days notice if and only if I sell the place. Look for that in your lease.

Second, if it is eventually sold and the deal actually goes through, your new landlord would be an idiot to have the old landlord break the lease. You are paying at least a portion of the mortgage for the new owner and unless it is being sold to a buyer who plans to use it as a primary residence, then you're probably good to go. I had the option to cancel the leases and told the previous owner ABSOLUTELY NOT to cancel them. Most likely, your new landlord would just become an assignee of the old lease agreement.

Lastly, in the worse case scenario of a lease cancellation, any security and pre-paid rent should be returned to you anyway. But you'll be out the money that it cost you to actually move (ie: travelling/moving expense).