Critique letter to CA please

Nascar3

I have 3 old medical collections on my report that I am trying to get removed. They are for small amounts ($48, $55, $55) and I don't even remember what they were for. I called the CA (I know, I know) a couple of weeks ago and told them that I did not know what they were for and wondered if they would do a PFD. They told me "no, but we will report them as PAID if you pay them." Well, obviously I'm not going to do that. Prior to making this phone call I had disputed them with Experian hoping for an easy delete that way. Experian verified them and they remain. Now, I notice that they are still there, but not with the notation that "consumer disputes." So, I figure I am going to DV them and also mention the fact that they are incorrectly reporting. BTW, I DID also call the OC to see if there was any way they could yank the debts back, but I was told that as far as they were concerned my balance was $0 and I would have to deal with the CA. Anyways, here is my letter. Would you take a look at it and tell me how it sounds? I am not very good at this letter writing stuff with all of these legalities...

Re: Acct #103XXXXX, 103XXXXX, 103XXXXX

I have recently pulled my Experian credit report and have noticed that your agency is reporting that I owe you several debts that I am not aware of.

Furthermore, I have disputed with the credit bureau and you have verified that this information is correct without making a notation that these debts are disputed.

This is a clear violation of the FCRA.

Under my rights under the FDCPA I am requesting that you completely validate these debts and correct my credit report or delete them completely before I am forced to pursue other action.

Sincerely,

Nascar3

Nascar3 did say that the OC said

I DID also call the OC to see if there was any way they could yank the debts back, but I was told that as far as they were concerned my balance was $0

Which in my mind means they've sold the debts to a JDB. If that's the case, N3 doesn't owe these people anything.

You said in the first post that you didn't know what the balances were for. When you called the OC did you ask them? Are they balances that are truly your responsibility?

I'm sure they WERE my responsibility. They were from a physician's office that I had visited back in 2001/2002. I am guessing that they were copays that my insurance didn't cover. But, I don't know exactly what they were for. And no I didn't bother to ask the OC as they told me I don't owe them anything.

Needless to say, the point is I want them off my credit report. If paying them were to get them off I would pay. Unfortunately, the CA told me no they wouldn't delete them. Sooooo, to hell with them.

Sooooo, to hell with them.
Exactly the right attitude. I'm not sure what the going rate for "junk debt" medical collections, but I'm sure that whoever owns them now did not pay full price for them. They are no longer your responsiblity. The only logical reason to pay them anything is if they'll get off your reports.

I'm sure they WERE my responsibility. They were from a physician's office that I had visited back in 2001/2002. I am guessing that they were copays that my insurance didn't cover. But, I don't know exactly what they were for. And no I didn't bother to ask the OC as they told me I don't owe them anything.

Needless to say, the point is I want them off my credit report. If paying them were to get them off I would pay. Unfortunately, the CA told me no they wouldn't delete them. Sooooo, to hell with them.

Let me explain why I brought that up. With medical debts it happens very, very often that the medical office does not write off amounts that they should. I know these are pretty old and fairly small amounts but if you had the EOB's or could still could get them, you could verify if they are co-pays or amounts that the office should not have billed you for in the first place. If not then that office needs to call back the debt from the CA or if it has truly been sold to a JDB, they need to compensate you somehow.

That would be sort of a general rule with medical collections. I do medical billing and have fought a couple of times with other providers who tried to bill me for amounts they should have written off per their contract with my insurance company. Also where I work we almost never send anyone to collections but if that happens the balance is written off as bad debt and therefore will show as zero. So the fact that you were told that the balance is zero doesn't necessarily mean that the debt was sold.

Most people don't seem to compare statements from providers to the EOB from their insurance company, at least I don't think so and therefore many medical providers are getting money from patients that they should not be taking. It's not right.

So Nascar 3 these are pretty old but if possible you may want to try to get the EOB's and see if these balances are listed as patient responsibility.

Actually I have been in nearly the same situation as you for a measly $53.00. The CA wouldn't do a PFD either and I ended up just sending the OC a check anyway to see if they cashed it. They did and I then disputed the tradeline with a copy of the cashed check made out to and cashed by the OC and said that I knew nothing of the CA listed on my report, and that the OC had been paid - please remove this tradeline and they did. It's sort of a "Hail Mary" move but it worked for me. You may want to try that as the amount in total isn't too bad or just keep disputing them with the CRA's and see what happens.

The only sort of good spot is that they should fall off starting next year if they are that old. I know this is frustrating and wish you luck with this.