sagamiono

Did not dispute w/CRA when I DV'd CA

well technically, if you DV'ed outside of the 30 days no. If you were going for the 1-2 punch inside of the 30 days then tehcnically not either. They have to cease collection activity until they validate, so i would still send my dispute in. How recent was the DV? If they received it recently, you can still dispute (the 2 part).

Thanks for the help. The DV was sent just a little over 30days ago. The CA did not show 'in dispute' with the CRA's within the 30 days or since. I was getting ready to send the CA the ol' $1000.00 per violation letter.....

Hold off on that letter, and keep reading this site.

The CA did not show "in dispute" with the CRA's within the 30 days...

They do NOT have a time limit in which to put "in dispute", FYI

Oops sorry. Sent the CA the violation letter today. I just received a copy of a bill today from the collection agency. It shows a 0.00 balance. Someone hand wrote in pen the amount owed, so it is an altered bill. Any suggestions on my next step?

Even if the DV was not timely, you should still dispute with the CRA. If the CA verifies the TL as being complete and accurate, and did not place the "disputed" tag on the TL when they know that it is in fact disputed, they just vreified inaccurate info, which gives you a PROA for 623(B)

Thank you Divemedic. The CRA verified the TL as accurate. What value does this altered bill have? Nothing sent that shows my signature or agreement to pay. This is a medical bill.

Since it was altered by pen, I would say that the altered bill is a violation. Write them and ask them why they altered the bill they sent. See if you can get them to say something really stupid.

They do not need a signature or an agreement, but they do need to be collecting what you owe, and not be inventing stuff.