bigjohnstud4200 Posted August 25, 2007 Report Share Posted August 25, 2007 You've heard the expression, "stop knocking on my door like the police"? Well, this morning at 7:20 someone starts ringing the door bell like "they were the police". I'm still in bed thankful that both of my kids are still sleeping and immediately I get pissed. I walk down, quietly, and look out the peep hole.. IT IS THE POLICE!" Did I answer, hell no! I can see he has something in his hands so I immediately start thinking someone is trying to serve me and all my debts are SOL but I want to know what it is for before I answer. 15 minutes later, he's still at the door, still ringing the doorbell and attempting to look up to the 2nd and 3rd levels to see if he can see me "peeking". Finally he gives up and leaves so I come straight to the computer and look at my courts dockets to see if there is a claim against me or my wife and find nothing. So I call my wife and tell her and she says, oh yeah, you got a call from the state police saying you went through the toll without paying. He said that if I don't call him, they will serve me a summons. Well, since I have a ezpass I know I didn't pass without paying, however, I know a couple of times the crappy service gave me a red as if I didn't pay. I guess I'll be looking forward to a court case soon.Just my rant. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
zfire Posted August 25, 2007 Report Share Posted August 25, 2007 I would have been in a painc myself. Always wondered about those easy pass things. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
corky Posted August 25, 2007 Report Share Posted August 25, 2007 Gee, they don't mess around do they? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
zfire Posted August 25, 2007 Report Share Posted August 25, 2007 they are very serious. What is the fine for something like that BJD?? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bigjohnstud4200 Posted August 25, 2007 Author Report Share Posted August 25, 2007 The toll was .50 and they want $89! This is the same place that you can be taxed $750 for 3 years for failure to use your turn signals. I'm looking to escape this place! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
keith Posted August 25, 2007 Report Share Posted August 25, 2007 Hey Big John, thats only a 17,800% increase! They go for blood there. What part of the planet is that again? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bigjohnstud4200 Posted August 25, 2007 Author Report Share Posted August 25, 2007 Virginia, the afterbirth of the devil. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hopelesscred Posted August 25, 2007 Report Share Posted August 25, 2007 OUCH.....sorry to hear that..Bigjohn. Can u call the EZ pass folks and get this resolved? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bigjohnstud4200 Posted August 25, 2007 Author Report Share Posted August 25, 2007 OUCH.....sorry to hear that..Bigjohn. Can u call the EZ pass folks and get this resolved?The funny thing is that this is part of the toll road is privately owned so the EZPASS people have no control over it. I have gotten statements of my account balance at the time of the violation. That should be enough.Thanks everyone! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
zfire Posted August 25, 2007 Report Share Posted August 25, 2007 You could always move down here to the debtor friendly state, butyou don't want to live inside the Houston city limits. They have camerasdown there. I understand they are mailing tickets out by the thousands. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
justincase Posted August 25, 2007 Report Share Posted August 25, 2007 You've heard the expression, "stop knocking on my door like the police"? Well, this morning at 7:20 someone starts ringing the door bell like "they were the police". I'm still in bed thankful that both of my kids are still sleeping and immediately I get pissed. I walk down, quietly, and look out the peep hole.. IT IS THE POLICE!" Did I answer, hell no! I can see he has something in his hands so I immediately start thinking someone is trying to serve me and all my debts are SOL but I want to know what it is for before I answer. 15 minutes later, he's still at the door, still ringing the doorbell and attempting to look up to the 2nd and 3rd levels to see if he can see me "peeking". Finally he gives up and leaves so I come straight to the computer and look at my courts dockets to see if there is a claim against me or my wife and find nothing. So I call my wife and tell her and she says, oh yeah, you got a call from the state police saying you went through the toll without paying. He said that if I don't call him, they will serve me a summons. Well, since I have a ezpass I know I didn't pass without paying, however, I know a couple of times the crappy service gave me a red as if I didn't pay. I guess I'll be looking forward to a court case soon.Just my rant.BJS, I don't know about your state, being a retired Trooper here in Maryland we were not in the business of process serving for civil complaints, that stuff is usally handled by private processors or the Sherrif's Departments. The summons they will probablly issue is a must appear offense summons which is the equivalancy of getting a traffic citation. If you are notified to come to court, state your explination and I see the judge dismissing your case. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LeslieR Posted August 26, 2007 Report Share Posted August 26, 2007 BJS, here in Calif. there are cameras at all of the FastTrack pass-throughs so that if the thing malfunctions, they can go back and look. Check and see if they have them on your freeways. That in addition to your billing statements showing you had a balance, should be enough.Geez, the state police must not have much to do in your state. Most places they'd just send a citation in the mail!! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TungstenMan Posted August 27, 2007 Report Share Posted August 27, 2007 You've heard the expression, "stop knocking on my door like the police"? Well, this morning at 7:20 someone starts ringing the door bell like "they were the police". I'm still in bed thankful that both of my kids are still sleeping and immediately I get pissed. I walk down, quietly, and look out the peep hole.. IT IS THE POLICE!" Did I answer, hell no! I can see he has something in his hands so I immediately start thinking someone is trying to serve me and all my debts are SOL but I want to know what it is for before I answer. 15 minutes later, he's still at the door, still ringing the doorbell and attempting to look up to the 2nd and 3rd levels to see if he can see me "peeking". Finally he gives up and leaves so I come straight to the computer and look at my courts dockets to see if there is a claim against me or my wife and find nothing. So I call my wife and tell her and she says, oh yeah, you got a call from the state police saying you went through the toll without paying. He said that if I don't call him, they will serve me a summons. Well, since I have a ezpass I know I didn't pass without paying, however, I know a couple of times the crappy service gave me a red as if I didn't pay. I guess I'll be looking forward to a court case soon.Just my rant.which brings up a good point.... if the police knock you do not have to answer unless they order you to open the door, usually by "open up". they can only do this if they believe someone is in danger. just dont answer! if you get caught by a server in public just turn and run or drive like hell! do not confirm your identity just run! yes i have done this... Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
divemedic Posted August 27, 2007 Report Share Posted August 27, 2007 You do know that if the server can testify that you are deliberately avoiding service, the SOL is tolled, right? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beeboah Posted August 27, 2007 Report Share Posted August 27, 2007 You've heard the expression, "stop knocking on my door like the police"? Well, this morning at 7:20 someone starts ringing the door bell like "they were the police". I'm still in bed thankful that both of my kids are still sleeping and immediately I get pissed. I walk down, quietly, and look out the peep hole.. IT IS THE POLICE!" Did I answer, hell no! I can see he has something in his hands so I immediately start thinking someone is trying to serve me and all my debts are SOL but I want to know what it is for before I answer. 15 minutes later, he's still at the door, still ringing the doorbell and attempting to look up to the 2nd and 3rd levels to see if he can see me "peeking". Finally he gives up and leaves so I come straight to the computer and look at my courts dockets to see if there is a claim against me or my wife and find nothing. So I call my wife and tell her and she says, oh yeah, you got a call from the state police saying you went through the toll without paying. He said that if I don't call him, they will serve me a summons. Well, since I have a ezpass I know I didn't pass without paying, however, I know a couple of times the crappy service gave me a red as if I didn't pay. I guess I'll be looking forward to a court case soon.Just my rant.omg Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mariner Posted August 27, 2007 Report Share Posted August 27, 2007 I use Sunpass down here in F-L-A. I got a letter from the state saying I had missed a .29 toll. It was during a trip to Miami where I had gone through about 25 booths and I guess one did not register. All I had to do was call the Sunpass folks and have them debit my account for .29. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bigjohnstud4200 Posted August 27, 2007 Author Report Share Posted August 27, 2007 You do know that if the server can testify that you are deliberately avoiding service, the SOL is tolled, right?Doesn't really matter what is tolled when I show copies of my statement saying that I had a chargeable credit to account and therefore I didn't "not pay". A greater concern for me is the fact that they could suspend my license, however, this is being dealt with today. This sounds silly, but the greatest concern with the state police coming to my residence that morning is the fact that my wife was at work and I was home with the kids. I know I have no warrants or anything, but the only thought going through my mind was them taking me to jail and sending my kids to protective custody until my wife came (whom was more than an hour away). Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Methuss Posted August 27, 2007 Report Share Posted August 27, 2007 This is why I hate those stupid electronic passes. Sometimes they foul up and the toll agency is too fired up to bother to check the plate number against their own system to see if you have a valid device.The other thing that bugs me is that eventually these things will be used to send you defacto speeding tickets. Sooner or later the States will figure out that they can do this just by going back to 2nd grade math. All they need is the time stamps between 2 toll boths and the distance between them to figure your speed. And you won't be able to argue out of it in court. The math doesn't lie and is even more accurate than a LIDAR held by a trooper. They'll just drop the ticket in the mail with your speed already calculated and you're toast. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beeboah Posted August 27, 2007 Report Share Posted August 27, 2007 Doesn't really matter what is tolled when I show copies of my statement saying that I had a chargeable credit to account and therefore I didn't "not pay". A greater concern for me is the fact that they could suspend my license, however, this is being dealt with today. This sounds silly, but the greatest concern with the state police coming to my residence that morning is the fact that my wife was at work and I was home with the kids. I know I have no warrants or anything, but the only thought going through my mind was them taking me to jail and sending my kids to protective custody until my wife came (whom was more than an hour away).Yep, a valid fear in this State, in particular this country. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bigjohnstud4200 Posted August 27, 2007 Author Report Share Posted August 27, 2007 I am planning to put my butt in the wind and get out of this state by the end of this year. I'm ready to get my kids back to where all of our family is on the other coast, not to mention this state is going downhill fast. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Macwench Posted August 27, 2007 Report Share Posted August 27, 2007 I am planning to put my butt in the wind and get out of this state by the end of this year. I'm ready to get my kids back to where all of our family is on the other coast, not to mention this state is going downhill fast.When we came up here, we originally landed on the VA side of the state line. NO WAY would I stay there - craziness is all I can say. Much prefer my side of the line and if I need something on the VA side, all I have to do is walk across the street...Can't blame you for wanting to leave!! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts