Lady from NCO says suit about to be filed

Ok, so yesterday a lady called my grandmother telling her that I was in big trouble and that I needed to immediately contact them. Grandmother called me upset and hysterical thinking I'm going to jail or something. Anyway I called, and the lady says she is with the pre legal department and that I am about to be charged with fraud, breach of contract and something else I don't remember.

She then goes on to say I can settle this matter out of court voluntarily or they would go ahead and file suit. Is this a just a scare tactic? It doesn't sound like one of the call room monkeys. The number she left is 18888994753 and seems to be her direct line, as when I called at 1am there was an answering machine message. She refused to send me anything in writing, saying I have been procrastinating long enough and have received letters from other agencys who the account was placed with before.

This is for a citi card. Should I call their bluff and wait it out and see what happens? (unfortunately account is not sol)

It sounds like a scare tatic to me. Now that they have made contact with you, they are obligated to send you something in the mail within 5 days. I would wait for the 10 days then send a DV and include the fact that they are violating the law by not sending you the required dunning letter, threats of criminal prosecution, giving info on a debt to a 3rd party, misrepresenting the status of a debt, theats of legal action without the intention to actually go through with it, etc, etc, etc.

Apparently they are collecting for the account I mentioned in here http://debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272020&highlight=boudreau

I followed everyone's advice there and sent dv's to both boudreau and LVNV. I don't know if they've sold the account or just assigned it over to NCO as they won't tell me anything except basically "pay or get sued". The lady also had one of her "associates" call me and ask me what I was going to do because he was about to "sign off on the paperwork". Unfortunately, I live in a two party state so I can't record their calls without their consent. It's been about 20 days since LVNV and Boudreau received my dv and of course they have not responded and probably won't. As for the amount of the debt it's about 2500, nothing too large.

NCO is almost TOO easy to get rid of.

DV, and they fold 99% of the time.

If not, the email address of some of their higher-up's are floating around (michelle lyons is one of them). Email them an ITS and they are gone 100% of the time.

They have become quite cautious after getting in pretty deep with the FTC a few years ago. They're still pretty aggressive in their collection methods..but at the first sign of trouble (i.e. an informed consumer), they fold.